xdm screws my monitor

Post by Dave » Fri, 18 Mar 1994 12:49:41

This is my first (test) posting...
        When I use xdm, I log in and everything is okay. When I go to log
out, it logs me out, then switches to text mode, then back to the xdm login
screen. Now, my problem is that everytime this happens my monitor goes through
several modes and I am worried that one day my monitor will give up the ghost.
        Does anyone have a solution so that xdm will always stay in graphics
mode?

Thanks, Dave

1. xdm screwed up X

I removed xdm from my rc.local because xdm was unable to run my window
manager, it would just present me with a bare login shell, so I had
to type in fvwm & to get anything going.  I still don't understand why
it was not working properly.

But now I have another headache, X won't run, to run X I have to xdm
and then type fvwm &.  Before xdm I could just turn my machine on and
then login in  and startx.  But now startx dumps just when I want to load
my window manager.  Here is my xinitrc (note I only run as root).

#!/BIN/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $
# modified by obz

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# start some nice programs

if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/xsetroot ]; then
   xsetroot -solid DeepSkyBlue4
fi
#if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/xclock ]; then
#  xclock -chime -geometry 80x80+1+0 -foreground white -hd green -hl white -bg b
#fi
#source  /etc/profile
#xterm -g 80x24+140+10 -fn small -e /bin/bash &
#xeyes -g 80x40+1+105 -fg brown  &
#xload -g 110x80+1+175 -bg black -fg green &
echo "running fvwm"
fvwm -d $DISPLAY &

Note I have commented out a lot of the programs I usually run while I
was debugging this problem.  When I type startx it will go all the way
past the line echo "runing fvwm" and then it dies with an error
number 0 saying it doesn't now what the error is.
--
------------------------

Bikram Dhaliwal
(905) 845-4567

2. Any luck with WaveLan adaptors ?

3. xdm screwed up key binding and path.

4. Fancy idle program in Mandrake 8.0?

5. xdm screws up $PATH...

6. Sparc Audio API for Linux's /dev/audio

7. HELP: xdm screws up keyboard mappings!

8. ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368

9. XDM problems on bootup -- screwed up XF86Config file

10. XDM - Screws up fvwm resolution

11. Screwed up monitor parameters

12. Lost my monitor man - am I screwed?

13. Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?