1. xdm screwed up X
I removed xdm from my rc.local because xdm was unable to run my window
manager, it would just present me with a bare login shell, so I had
to type in fvwm & to get anything going. I still don't understand why
it was not working properly.
But now I have another headache, X won't run, to run X I have to xdm
and then type fvwm &. Before xdm I could just turn my machine on and
then login in and startx. But now startx dumps just when I want to load
my window manager. Here is my xinitrc (note I only run as root).
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $
# modified by obz
# merge in defaults and keymaps
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
if [ -f $userresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $userresources
if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
# start some nice programs
if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/xsetroot ]; then
xsetroot -solid DeepSkyBlue4
#if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/xclock ]; then
# xclock -chime -geometry 80x80+1+0 -foreground white -hd green -hl white -bg b
#xterm -g 80x24+140+10 -fn small -e /bin/bash &
#xeyes -g 80x40+1+105 -fg brown &
#xload -g 110x80+1+175 -bg black -fg green &
echo "running fvwm"
fvwm -d $DISPLAY &
Note I have commented out a lot of the programs I usually run while I
was debugging this problem. When I type startx it will go all the way
past the line echo "runing fvwm" and then it dies with an error
number 0 saying it doesn't now what the error is.
2. Any luck with WaveLan adaptors ?
3. xdm screwed up key binding and path.
4. Fancy idle program in Mandrake 8.0?
5. xdm screws up $PATH...
6. Sparc Audio API for Linux's /dev/audio
7. HELP: xdm screws up keyboard mappings!
8. ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368
9. XDM problems on bootup -- screwed up XF86Config file
10. XDM - Screws up fvwm resolution
11. Screwed up monitor parameters
12. Lost my monitor man - am I screwed?
13. Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?