NMI received?

Post by Scott Kriefa » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 15:01:19

I've recently begun receiving the following message upon booting
Linux: "Uhhuh.  NMI recived.  Dazed and confused, but trying to
continue".  Is this a memory error, or something else?  I've been
unable to locate anything about this in any of the HOWTOs/etc that
I have.
Scott Kriefall                Saint Cloud State U, St. Cloud, MN, USA

NMI received?

Post by Christopher M. M » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 14:51:20

: I've recently begun receiving the following message upon booting
: Linux: "Uhhuh.  NMI recived.  Dazed and confused, but trying to
: continue".  Is this a memory error, or something else?  I've been
: unable to locate anything about this in any of the HOWTOs/etc that
: I have.

Your CPU got an interrupt 0, or "non-maskable interrupt". A
memory parity error is the only thing that I know of that can cause this.
--

-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst

NMI received?

Post by Todd Wrig » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 20:15:05

: I've recently begun receiving the following message upon booting
: Linux: "Uhhuh.  NMI recived.  Dazed and confused, but trying to
: continue".  Is this a memory error, or something else?  I've been
: unable to locate anything about this in any of the HOWTOs/etc that
: I have.

: Your CPU got an interrupt 0, or "non-maskable interrupt". A
: memory parity error is the only thing that I know of that can cause this.

I have had this, just after I installed a new DX2/66 motherboard using known
good memory. It disapeared after I configured the CMOS properly. Ie: I changed
the DRAM refresh rate from Turbo (or whatever) to Normal, for my slower ram
chips. I havn't been dazed and confused for weeks now.

--

 Fidonet: Todd Wright, 3:712/408

NMI received?

Post by Scott Kriefa » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 07:25:20

>: I've recently begun receiving the following message upon booting
>: Linux: "Uhhuh.  NMI recived.  Dazed and confused, but trying to
>: continue".  Is this a memory error, or something else?  I've been

>I have had this, just after I installed a new DX2/66 motherboard using known
>good memory. It disapeared after I configured the CMOS properly. Ie: I changed
>the DRAM refresh rate from Turbo (or whatever) to Normal, for my slower ram
>chips. I havn't been dazed and confused for weeks now.

I am still receiving the error, usually after first turning on the
computer.  It takes 2-3 attempts (usually) to get Linux to boot, and
then after that everything is fine... will warm boot without a problem.
But turn the system off for an hour, come back, and Linux is once again
"Dazed and confused."  Even more strangely, memory parity checking is
turned OFF in bios setup, since I know the simm ships are good.  So the
NMI definitely isn't being caused by a memory parity error.  I don't
believe my AMI bios has the DRAM refresh rate option - I'll try the
shareware AMISetup program.
Scott Kriefall                Saint Cloud State U, St. Cloud, MN, USA

NMI received?

Post by SaskPow » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 07:09:16

I got the same problem on an older AMI motherboard.
Problem was due to 64K cache Static RAM not being configured
as enabled when the hardware WAS available.
Enabling cache in the CMOS setup caused problem to go away...

NMI received?

Post by Doug Stanfie » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 08:00:23

: >: I've recently begun receiving the following message upon booting
   [stuff deleted ...]
: I am still receiving the error, usually after first turning on the
: computer.  It takes 2-3 attempts (usually) to get Linux to boot, and
: then after that everything is fine... will warm boot without a problem.
: But turn the system off for an hour, come back, and Linux is once again
: "Dazed and confused."  Even more strangely, memory parity checking is
: turned OFF in bios setup, since I know the simm ships are good.  So the
: NMI definitely isn't being caused by a memory parity error.  I don't
: believe my AMI bios has the DRAM refresh rate option - I'll try the
: shareware AMISetup program.
: --
: Scott Kriefall                Saint Cloud State U, St. Cloud, MN, USA

Check your battery voltage.  It sounds as if over a period of time its not
holding a charge.  At some point this would reset the parameters.
--

Doug Stanfield          "The significant problems we face cannot be solved
Oceanic Cable            at the same level of thinking we were at when we

NMI received?

Post by pp002.. » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 10:02:50

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
> Subject: Re: NMI received?
> Date: 4 Dec 1994 22:25:20 GMT

Quote:> NNTP-Posting-Host: eeyore.stcloud.msus.edu

alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions:1140

> I am still receiving the error, usually after first turning on the
> computer.  It takes 2-3 attempts (usually) to get Linux to boot, and
> then after that everything is fine... will warm boot without a problem.
> But turn the system off for an hour, come back, and Linux is once again
> "Dazed and confused."  Even more strangely, memory parity checking is
> turned OFF in bios setup, since I know the simm ships are good.  So the
> NMI definitely isn't being caused by a memory parity error.  I don't
> believe my AMI bios has the DRAM refresh rate option - I'll try the
> shareware AMISetup program.
> --
> Scott Kriefall                Saint Cloud State U, St. Cloud, MN, USA

Might you be mixing double and single sided SIMMS in a motherboard that
doesn't like such a thing?

NMI received?

Post by Scott Kriefa » Mon, 12 Dec 1994 01:51:24

>> I am still receiving the error, usually after first turning on the
>> computer.  It takes 2-3 attempts (usually) to get Linux to boot, and
>> then after that everything is fine... will warm boot without a problem.
>> But turn the system off for an hour, come back, and Linux is once again
>> "Dazed and confused."  Even more strangely, memory parity checking is
>> turned OFF in bios setup, since I know the simm ships are good.  So the

>Might you be mixing double and single sided SIMMS in a motherboard that
>doesn't like such a thing?

Nope - my motherboard only supports standard 30-pin SIMMs, of which I
have eight (1 MB each).  Someone also mentioned that it could be a
problem with the battery - it's not that, either.  And, as mentioned,
parity checking is turned off, so it's not a memory parity error.

Here's a better explanation of the problem:  I boot Linux from floppy.
If I attempt to boot Linux immediately upon powering up the system, it
will not boot, no matter how many times I try (endless streams of
"Uhhuh.  NMI received..." messages).  If I first boot MSDOS, and then
Linux, the same thing occurs (but DOS has no problems).  If I first
boot OS/2, then Linux will boot without ANY problems (not a single error
message).  The "Uhhuh.  NMI received..." messages always occur while
Linux is attempting to determine the BogoMips rating of my system.  This
occurs with both 1.1.59 and 1.1.72 - haven't tried 1.0.9 yet.

Here's additional information on my system, if it might help anyone spot
what might be behind this problem:

noname 486DX2-66 VLB motherboard (4/4/93 AMI bios)
noname VLB IDE I/O controller
eight 1MB 30-pin SIMMs (3 chip/9 bit)
Orchid Fahrenheit 1280+ graphics card (ISA, S3-801)
ProAudio Spectrum 16 Basic (sound card)
Digicom ScoutPlus 14.4kbps modem (on com2/cua1)
MouseSystems 3-button mouse (on com1/cua0)
Teac 3.5" HD floppy drive
WD 250MB IDE (OS/2 HPFS)
WD 340MB IDE (Linux & DOS)
ISA bus is running at 11 MHz (changing to 8 had no effect)
Scott Kriefall                Saint Cloud State U, St. Cloud, MN, USA

NMI received?

Post by Doug Stanfie » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 05:54:19

[stuff deleted ...]
[...]

Scott,
  I don't know anything about OS/2 and not alot about the specifics of
Linux boot-up, but you might have an IRQ or memory conflict with the
boards you have installed.  If OS/2, when it boots, is changing some
on board parameter that remains set when you boot Linux, this might explain
whats happening.  I had the invers happen, if I booted DOS, I had parameters
set in my AUTOEXEC.BAT that were messing up my Ethernet card.  Getting
things consistant between the two OSs took care of the problem.
  Hope this helps.

Post by Joe Slo » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 15:54:11

>[stuff deleted ...]

>: ProAudio Spectrum 16 Basic (sound card)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:>: Digicom ScoutPlus 14.4kbps modem (on com2/cua1)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think both of these items get properly initialized in config.sys &
autoexec.bat by some sort of cheesy dos code -

Why not use loadlin?

Set up a dos boot menu with a dos option and a loadlin->linux option:

1. The dos option would be essentially what you have now;

2. The loadlin option would let dos initialize the digicom and the
   pas16, then load linux...

I have set up a few 486 and pentium machines this way because of funny
little details that lilo couldn't handle...

--

 A linux machine! because a 486    / ACCELERATE your Windoze NT box?
 is a terrible thing to waste!     / -9.8 m/s^2 works quite well!!!

1. NMI received. Dazed and confused!!!

Ok, I've been meaning to do this for a while, so here goes:

When I got my first version of Linux back in 1993 I had enormous
problems with Kernel Panics after ~5 minutes of use.  I eventually
got the problem sorted out by switching processors (from 486sx25
to 486sx33), however I was not able to use the floppy from
within Linux or the system crashed.

Now, I recently changed kernels up to 1.2.x, and have started
getting some strange messages on bootup , or whenever I use the
floppy (which otherwise works fine :-):

On bootup (occasionally) :

Uhhuh, NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue.
You probably have a problem with your RAM chips or a power
saving mode enabled.

On using the floppy :

Power saving mode enabled.

Does anybody know what an NMI is and why I am getting this error?
I don't really need a fix as everything continues ok, I'm merely
interested.

looking forward to your replies,

Charlie

2. Submission Deadline April 1, 2003 - BSDCon 2003

3. What's that: Uhhuh, NMI received...?

4. test, please dont read

5. 2.4.20-acpi: NMI received for unknown reason 2d/3d

6. Q: mem=64M in lilo.conf (dangerous???)

7. WARNING: pcplusmp: NMI received

8. 'NMI received for unknown reason'-error on SLES9/IBM x346

9. NMI received for unknown reason

10. Uhhuh NMI received

11. NMI received... Huh?

12. 'NMI received' when using floating point processor