vi (elvis) crazy

Post by Morten Guldager Jens » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:22:47

Hi Folks.

My vi (elvis I guess) becomes crazy when I use it over a modem-line.

The Problem:
When I edit a file in vi the cursor flicks around at the button line.
(around pos 60 to 70, I guess)
It wastes i lot of bandwith!

Anyone knows how to keep the cursor calm in vi on a modem-line?

My setup:

The server:
  Slackware 2.1.0
  getty on /dev/ttyS1
  ZyXEL 1496E modem (19200)

The "client"
  Slackware 2.1.0
  seyon on /dev/cua1
  ZyXEL 1496E modem (19200)

/Morten %-)

1. elvis (vi) in an xterm session: cut and paste problems

==>I cannot cut or paste to or from a document when using elvis (vi) in an xterm.
==>I don't seem to have the problem at any other time. I've been in and out of
==>input mode, no difference.
==>

That's because ELIVS IS NOT VI! If you use a real vi you
won't have these problems. I suggest getting nvi, which is
the Berkeley re-write of vi. It compiles cleanly under Linux
and is a faithful vi.

---
Mark Bergman    Biker, IATSE #1 Stagehand, Unix mechanic

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:

rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.ex-unix-supporters
5+ So Far--Wanna Join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman

2. IP Accounting

3. elvis,vi,vim,vile and mouse support?

4. Installing glibc2 strange problem

5. Color elvis (vi) patch 0.2e

6. Help With Ultra 10/Solaris 9/Qlogic 2200 and Fiber Channel Tape Library

7. Pasting data in 'elvis' (vi clone)

8. Linux X & Netscape Problem

9. mouse in vi (elvis) X

10. Cannot cut/paste with mouse in vi (elvis)

11. Long lines in vi (elvis)

12. problem using vi (aka elvis)

13. vi (elvis) starts editing from the middle of xterm.