Why can't I partition my 504Mb drive ???? Help needed.

Why can't I partition my 504Mb drive ???? Help needed.

Post by BALATSOS AR » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am having trouble partitioning my 504Mb drive, and I need help!

I want to resize my DOS primary partition down to 350Mb so I can
have some room to install Linux.

You would think that this would be an easy task:
 - just delete the primary partition using DOS's FDISK program,
 - create a new primary partition of 350Mb,
 - set the new partition active,
 - exit FDISK & reboot,
 - and finally run FORMAT C: /s

*BUT* after creating the 350Mb partition, and rebooting, I find
that my newly created 350Mb DOS partition has suddenly become 504Mb again!!
It looks like the boot process has resized my DOS partition to its maximum(?)!

Non of this makes any sense.
If anyone has any helpful suggestions or solutions, I would be very
happy to hear from them!

Many thanks in advance
Aris Balatsos

Here is some info on my system if it will help:

-MS-DOS:     Version 6.20
-Hard disk:  Fujitsu IDE, 1024 cyl, 63 sectors/cyl, 16 heads, 512 byte sectors
             Size given by BIOS is 504Mb
-BIOS:       Award (dated April 26/94) - has no EIDE support
-Controller: VESA Local Bus IDE with a Winbond chipset- recent(Spring 1995).
             - My Hard Disk is master on IDE channel 0
             - My Panasonic quad CD-574B cd-rom is master on IDE channel 1
-MB:         Intel 486DX2/66, 8Mb RAM, 128Kb L2 cache
-Other:      SB-16,14.4K internal modem.

really be interested in hearing from them.

Why can't I partition my 504Mb drive ???? Help needed.

Post by Gertjan Kle » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> You would think that this would be an easy task:
>  - just delete the primary partition using DOS's FDISK program,
>  - create a new primary partition of 350Mb,
>  - set the new partition active,
>  - exit FDISK & reboot,
>  - and finally run FORMAT C: /s
> *BUT* after creating the 350Mb partition, and rebooting, I find
> that my newly created 350Mb DOS partition has suddenly become 504Mb again!!
> It looks like the boot process has resized my DOS partition to its maximum(?)!

  It is *highly* unlikely that the "boot process" has anything to do
with it. If you are sure you did all the right things with fdisk, only
one possible explanation remains: the changed partition information
didn't get saved to disk at all. One possible cause for this is that
some virus-protection scheme disallows writing to the MBR (Master Boot
Record). Some BIOS's have an option that does this, you may want to
check.

  Gertjan.

--

1. Need an 'a' partition on both drives, possible?

Hi,

I have two IDE disks (/dev/wd0 and /dev/wd1) and I want both of
them to contain an 'a' partition. Is that possible?

Using sysinstall I get a kernel panic when it tries to newfs the
/dev/wd1s1a partition. This is not a surprise, since another '/'
partition is already in use by the system. [ But, note that in
post-install mode sysinstall does not alter any /etc/fstab
entry, according to the tutorials. ]

Using the installation floppy, I can try to partition wd1 with
an 'a' partition, but then still the newfs command fails (with
error code -1, not a panic this time) on /dev/wd1s1a.

There is no help on making Compatibility Mode Disks from the
prompt (I love CLI) in the tutorials/handbook/faq.

The reason I want both drives to have an 'a' partition is
because I want to be able to startup FreeBSD from wd0 or
from wd1, both with their own '/' partition. (I don't
need other OS's)

S.

2. Win98 B.A.D.?

3. why can't I set 'rw' permissions to my msdos partition?

4. Things that annoy me in Mandrake Linux

5. linux with win'95 on 504mb limitation disk

6. Cubase VST on linux using WINE

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. page table...

9. RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

10. HELP: LILO destroyed MBR on a EIDE >504MB

11. HELP: can't boot to hard drive after re-partitioning

12. I'm installing a 1.7 gig drive - help me w/ partitioning