Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

Post by michael van ca » Fri, 03 Dec 1993 17:51:18

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

1. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

I have a problem with my FreeBSD installation.

I have an older Panasonic Drive connected to a Sound16A sound card
(Standard Packard Bell 486 SX Legend set-up). I cannot get FreeBSD 2.2.6
to recognize the drive.  Red Hat Linux accepted it as a standard
Panasonic drive, but FreeBSD tells me there are no CD drives present.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Andrew Sherrod

2. open and no carrier

4. what lines do I have add to my Xsession file to correctly start gnome desktop

5. Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

6. Computer Case recommendation?

7. Panasonic/Matshita CD-ROM won't mount...

8. iptables: allow multiple source addresses

9. Help Can't mount Panasonic CD-Rom drive!

10. CD-ROM drive won't read Linux-Mandrake 6.0 cd

11. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

12. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

13. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM