XCONFIG: Compaq Qvision and NEC4FGe

Post by John De N » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 23:56:00

hi all,
i seem to be having problems with my Xconfig.
cpu: Compaq Deskpro XE450
vid: QVision 1024 ("supposedly cpq_avga compatible")
mon: NEC 4FGe
i have checked the usual sources but have found
_no_ listings anywhere for cpq_vga. The standard
settings for the NEC 4FGe don't work.
-john.

Post by Kurt Kesp » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 20:50:40

> hi all,
> i seem to be having problems with my Xconfig.
> cpu: Compaq Deskpro XE450
> vid: QVision 1024 ("supposedly cpq_avga compatible")
> mon: NEC 4FGe
> i have checked the usual sources but have found
> _no_ listings anywhere for cpq_vga. The standard
> settings for the NEC 4FGe don't work.
> -john.

I have the same problem with an QVision 1024 Card. If there
are any solutions available i would be very glad.

thanks in advance

Kurt Kesper

Post by Mark Stockt » Sat, 25 Jun 1994 02:58:05

: > vid: QVision 1024 ("supposedly cpq_avga compatible")
: > i have checked the usual sources but have found
: > _no_ listings anywhere for cpq_vga.

: I have the same problem with an QVision 1024 Card.
: Kurt Kesper

I've been seeing a lot of posts lately concerning QVision support.
So, instead of replying by email as I usually do, here's the scoop:

To my knowledge, a QVision-specific driver does not exist.  However,
the QVision can operate as a Compaq Advanced VGA in 640x480x256 mode.
This is accomplished by using the XF86_SVGA server which has the
cpq_avga driver compiled into it.  XF86 v2.11 should be used because
some earlier versions had problems with the cpq_avga driver.

In order for higher resolution modes to be used, someone is going to
have to write a QVision-specific driver.

Hope this helps.

Mark Stockton
Advanced Customer Support
Compaq Computer Corporation

XCONFIG: Compaq Qvision and NEC4FGe

Post by Jake Colm » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 03:04:07

I can confirm that the Qvision does function properly using the SF86_SVGA driver. It
sees the chip as a cpq_avga with dot clocks of appx 25.x 28.32 41.x 50.x (the .x
indicates fractional dot clocks where the fraction varies)  The biggest problem is
the limited selection of dot clocks.  The best I can get (with the NEC 4FGe) is
800x600 using a dot clock of 50.  I suppose a native Qvision driver would get
higher resolution even with the limited dot clocks, no?

Does anyone know how I can find out about writing a native driver?  I am quite
proficient in C/C++ in a number of environments.  I am relatively new to Unix
development and have never written a display device driver.  Is there any hope
for me?

...Jake

1. NEED: Xconfig for Compaq QVision/1024 & Compaq 171FS monitor

 Please help if you can.  I have configured my Xconfig the best I can, but
 cannot get 1024x768x256.  The best is 800x600x256.  This is okay for now,
 but I'd rather be in the highest possible resolution.  The problem is that
 I cannot get the information on DOT clocks or monitor timings from Compaq.

 I called Compaq tech support and the tech was baffled by my request.

 If you use a Compaq Deskpro XE 466 with a Compaq 171FS monitor and have
 an Xconfig that includes 1024x768x256, please please please email me a copy
 of it.  I can only say thank you a million times if you do.

| Steven T. Murphy, EDI Coordinator             | HealthPartners       |
| ----------------------------------------------| 8100 34th Ave. South |

|                                               | (612) 883-6484       |
|    "Once there, you never have to worry about going back"            |

2. Adaptec 152x problem: more datat than expected

3. Xconfig for COMpaq QVISION Video Controller

4. ESC sequencing

5. Xconfig for Compaq Qvision/1024

6. Newbie Network Help>Mandrake 9.0 + XP

7. XConfig for QVISION 2000 (Compaq)

8. Windows 95 and SCO Unix

9. Xconfig for Compaq Qvision. ???

10. Xconfig for Compaq QVision and NEC 4FGe

11. Xconfig for Compaq 66M w/ QVision graphics?

12. Compaq Qvision - Xconfig File ???

13. REQ: Xconfig for Compaq QVision/1024