CDROM & MSCDEX support in Ygg FALL '94

Post by Amdi Niels » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 20:10:13

Hi everybody !

Like many others I bought the Aztech CD-ROM drive, believing that when I was
told that it's Mitsumi-komp. it should run fine with LINUX. Unfortunatly
that's not the way it is, but I got new hope when i saw the FALL '94 CD from
Yggdrasil. It should be able to use "DOS callback" to reach the CD, but for
me it just ain't working. When i type "RUNLINUX" from my CD under DOS, it
but allright, and when detecting my hardware it says "IDECD initialized" and
later "Drive found F:" (the letter of my CD under DOS"), but the system
hangs, after writing something like "VHF: Mounting root".

Have anybody else experienced with the "MSCDEX suppert" with or without
succes ?

Does anybody knows the "price" of using it, like:

        Loosing memory under Linux.
        Slower performance of CD access.
        Slower performance of Linux itself.

Thanks in advance !

Amdi Nielsen

Post by K.D. knguy » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 06:53:02

> Hi everybody !

> Like many others I bought the Aztech CD-ROM drive, believing that when I was
> told that it's Mitsumi-komp. it should run fine with LINUX. Unfortunatly
> that's not the way it is, but I got new hope when i saw the FALL '94 CD from
> Yggdrasil. It should be able to use "DOS callback" to reach the CD, but for
> me it just ain't working. When i type "RUNLINUX" from my CD under DOS, it
> but allright, and when detecting my hardware it says "IDECD initialized" and
> later "Drive found F:" (the letter of my CD under DOS"), but the system
> hangs, after writing something like "VHF: Mounting root".

> Have anybody else experienced with the "MSCDEX suppert" with or without
> succes ?

Yggdrasil MSCDEX does not work for me either.  I have played around with
dosload and I have been able to boot it under DOS but when It tried to mount
the CD then it failed to initialized the CD.  I have not yet tried to hack
the mscdex driver to see why it fails to initialize my CD (Philips LMSI CM205).

--
          '''           K.D. Nguyen
         (o o)          BDM Federal, Inc.

Philadelphia isn't dull - it just seems so because
  it is next to exciting Camden, NJ.

1. Plug & Play Fall '94 gives MSCDEX-error

Hi there,

When I start LINUX from DOS with RUNLINUX I get an  error like:

standard messages about finding components
..
CHECKING DRIVE G:
MSCDEX: DRIVE STATUS: 0x10 RETURN STATUS: 0x8102
MSCDEX: RESET: STATUS: 0x8102
MSCDEX: Invalid drive or other error
ERROR:AX=0x15
..
after reporting this "endlessly", a message about DEV 1D00: sector 18
is reported.

My configuration is:
486DX40 VLB/PCI UMC 16Mb
Stealth 64 1Mb PCI
Philips CM-206 CDROMdrive IRQ 11,port 300

Startup DOS only with HIMEM.SYS and CD-rom-drive support.

I hope someone could tell me what I'll have to look for.

Thanks in advance.

2. How do I get LILO off of the MBR?

3. Ctrl-'^', pico editor, Ygg Fall 94

4. OpenBSD VPN client software?

5. Ygg* Fall 94 CDROM

6. Newbie: problem with DIP

7. MSCDEX and AZTECH CD-ROMs with Yggdrasil Fall '94

8. 3com e-net card

9. Ygg Fall'94...Lost files.problems.:-((

10. Xcalc in Ygg Linux FALL'94

11. Yggdrasil Fall '94 & SoundBlaster CDROM ?

12. Ygg Fall 94 News Server Setup problems

13. Recompiled kernel does not work! (Ygg Fall 94)