Linux HELP!

Post by Samanth » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 02:24:13

I recently installed Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop and an old desktop machine.
My desktop loves it but the laptop doesn't. Problem: I did a full install,
how can I take it back to its original Windoze status? I have the computer's
original restore disk.

Sam

Linux HELP!

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:33:40

You can't really unless you saved some DOS space and kept your files there.
Otherwise they were wiped out when your install program formatted the
partitions. If you have an "original state" restore CD like e-Machines and
Dell supply then you can resore your Windows to original state, or like it
was when you bought it. First thing you have to do is use the linux fdisk to
delete the ext2 partitions and then used MS fdisk to create dos partitions.
After that your restore disk should be able to do its thing.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27 19' 56"

Quote:> I recently installed Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop and an old desktop machine.
> My desktop loves it but the laptop doesn't. Problem: I did a full install,
> how can I take it back to its original Windoze status? I have the
computer's
> original restore disk.

> Sam

Linux HELP!

Post by Elizabet » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:59:12

You have a couple of options here; you can fix Linux or you can restore
Windows.  It all depends on what your needs are and the laptop specs.

Fixing Linux (my favorite option :-)
If you did a full install of Linux on the laptop that might be your problem.
I'm not sure what package manager Mandrake has, but you can uninstall
a whole bunch of stuff, which will effectively speed up your laptop.
Also, there are special needs for laptops, namely the PCMCIA cards.
That might be a part of the problem...
So, exactly what kind of problems are you having with the laptop?
I wouldn't want you to have to give up the joys of Linux if the problems
are an easy fix.  :-)

Restoring Windows:
If you want to restore Win to the fact. settings, that's easy.  Pop in
your restore disk (making sure .... you know....cd boot and all that
I'm sure you know that, as you must be somewhat computer saavy
to have installed Linux.  :-).  Windows loves dominating everything
so will happily remove any other operating system you have...hehe.
I'd rather not see that...though.  Feel free to give me a private email,
etc.

Elizabeth
A Fellow Girl Geek?

> I recently installed Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop and an old desktop machine.
> My desktop loves it but the laptop doesn't. Problem: I did a full install,
> how can I take it back to its original Windoze status? I have the computer's
> original restore disk.

> Sam

1. Help C program in linux help help help !!!!!!!

Hello Everybody

if the file is a symbolic link , display where it points to (readlink)
how to use readlink in C code

How to show all the file information under current directory and then output
to a file  use C code

Thank You

Patrick

2. Setting environment

3. Linux Help! Help Linux!

4. Super-user ?

5. UltraStor 14f with SLS 1.03?

6. ARCNET Drivers Needed for Linux...help help help!

7. Strange behaviour

8. Help C program in linux help help

9. help linux help

10. HELP installing linux HELP (in setup)

11. SETUP LINUX HELP!!!!!HELP!!!