Red Hat Linux: need Lilo boot install help!

Red Hat Linux: need Lilo boot install help!

Post by Geoff Baysinge » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm having on hell of a time installing Red Hat (2.0.18 kernel ... on CD
from the QUE "Using Linux Third Edition: Special Edition" book) on a new
PC.

I've not gotten past the boot disk. In fact it dies at this point:

-----------------
LILO

Welcome to Red Hat Linux!

[welcome message snipped]

boot:
Error 0x10
-----------------

I have specified that it use the "linux" image, no luck, and I've
specified my HD parameters via:
boot: linux hd=3148,16,63

I always get the "0x10" error.

I got Red Hat cause it's supposed to be easier to install than Slackware
(which I've installed 3 times to date, and I have repeatedly read the
FAQs and HOWTOs). Maybe so, but I really need to know what this error
MEANS. Help Help Help!

-----------------

The Hardware is:

Tyan S1563D dual pentium motherboard with a single P166
32MB non-parity 60ns SIMMs
Western Digital Caviar 21600
Number Nine Motion 771 video card
3COM 3C509 combo ethernet
SoundBlaster 16 w/ASP chip (really old, 3 years, just for controlling
CD)
Creative Labs 2x CD-ROM drive

http://fly.HiWAAY.net/~gbaysing/
       "System Administrator-in-Training-and-resident-Quakeaholic"
           HiWAAY Information Services - http://www.HiWAAY.net/
             unsolicted (no SPAM) email (no SPAM) NOT accepted

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. XBasic?

3. need help on install lilo (red hat version 4.2)

4. Module problem

5. Need help with dual boot install Win 98/Red Hat 6.2

6. Chauncey Gardiner has spoken!

7. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

8. parted question: How to specify megabytes accurately?

9. Help with boot loader install for Red Hat Linux 8.0

10. Need Help to install linux RED HAT

11. need help installing red-hat Linux on large-hard disk

12. Newbie needs help creating Red Hat Linux install CD

13. I need help installing Linux (Red Hat 6.0) on partitioned HD