How to use floppy not from the root account?

How to use floppy not from the root account?

Post by Sam Steingo » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 07:24:00

When I try to (u)mount a floppy it tells me that only a su can do that,
and if I use sudo, it wants my password. What can I do to access a
floppy from a usual (not root) account.

Also: in bash,
PS1="\t \h:\w[\#/\!]\$ "
displays "$" for both root and non-root accounts. Why? man says it is
supposed to be # for the root.

I downloaded the Slackware a couple of days ago. The kernel is 1.0.8.

Thanks in advance!

Sam Steingold   |       Dept. of Mathematics, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555

I would appreciate comments on / corrections of my English from native
English speakers. Thank You!

How to use floppy not from the root account?

Post by Greg Cis » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 00:41:51

Quote:> When I try to (u)mount a floppy it tells me that only a su can do that,
> and if I use sudo, it wants my password. What can I do to access a
> floppy from a usual (not root) account.

I think you can tar (which is faster anyway) with floppies when you are
"joe_normal_user"

Quote:

> Also: in bash,
> PS1="\t \h:\w[\#/\!]\$ "
> displays "$" for both root and non-root accounts. Why? man says it is
> supposed to be # for the root.

I found out which .bash* files start, when. THen I put the proper prompts in where
I wanted... For normal users and root...Every time you "su" or even open an xterm,
certain startup files run. Find those & make them do what you want. Look on page
58-59 of the bash manpage...

Post by Alan Hightow » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 13:35:48

>> When I try to (u)mount a floppy it tells me that only a su can do that,
>> and if I use sudo, it wants my password. What can I do to access a
>> floppy from a usual (not root) account.
>I think you can tar (which is faster anyway) with floppies when you are
>"joe_normal_user"

   I believe if you add this line to your fstab things will work:

/dev/fd0        /floppy         ext2 (or whatever)      user

Post by Colin Beckma » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 01:19:30

: >> When I try to (u)mount a floppy it tells me that only a su can do that,
: >> and if I use sudo, it wants my password. What can I do to access a
: >> floppy from a usual (not root) account.

: >I think you can tar (which is faster anyway) with floppies when you are
: >"joe_normal_user"

:    I believe if you add this line to your fstab things will work:

: /dev/fd0      /floppy         ext2 (or whatever)      user

 I believe that you might have trouble at boot time with that. Heres what
I have done

create the following directories

/floppy/dos-a
/floppy/dos-b   if you have a b: drive
/floppy/lfd-a
/floppy/ldf-b

make the directories read write execute by every one

place the following in your /etc/fstab

  /dev/fd0  /floppy/dos-a     msdos  user,rw,noauto
  /dev/fd1  /floppy/dos-b     msdos  user,rw,noauto
  /dev/fd0  /floppy/lfd-a     ext2   user,rw,noauto
  /dev/fd1  /floppy/lfd-b     ext2   user,rw,noauto

no reboot the machine.   To mount a dos floppy on drive a: do
 mount /floppy/dos-a <enter>    as any user

to mount a floppy that is formated as an ext2 floppy on drive a: do

mount /floppy/lfd-a  <enter>   as any user

to unmount the dos disk

umount /floppy/dos-a <enter>

to unmount the linux floppy

umount /floppy/lfd-a <enter>

You of course can call these directories anything that you want but
the important thing is that you have a directory of each of the file
systems that you want and that the the options are user,rw,noauto.
The noauto stops the O/S from trying to mount the disk at boot time.

Hope this helps

Colin

I don't speak for IBM and IBM does not speak for me

Post by Benjamin John Walt » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 05:24:29

: > When I try to (u)mount a floppy it tells me that only a su can do that,
: > and if I use sudo, it wants my password. What can I do to access a
: > floppy from a usual (not root) account.

Try adding an entry like this to /etc/fstab:

/dev/fd0        /floppy         msdos           user,noauto
                                                ^^^^
                                                this means users can
                                                mount/umount this
                                                device

peace, Ben

--
   __   _
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __

Post by Steve Holm » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 12:32:58

>....... stuff deleted .........
>You of course can call these directories anything that you want but
>the important thing is that you have a directory of each of the file
>systems that you want and that the the options are user,rw,noauto.
>The noauto stops the O/S from trying to mount the disk at boot time.

Thanks for the wonderful tip - I saved it for later use when I get up to
speed with Linux.  One question though, If I doe this as you suggested,
does this mean that I would never be able to use either floppy as a boot
drive? or did I miss something?

<Steve> Holmes
Tempe, AZ  USA

How to use floppy not from the root account?

Post by Colin Beckma » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 22:34:32

: >....... stuff deleted .........

: >You of course can call these directories anything that you want but
: >the important thing is that you have a directory of each of the file
: >systems that you want and that the the options are user,rw,noauto.
: >The noauto stops the O/S from trying to mount the disk at boot time.

: Thanks for the wonderful tip - I saved it for later use when I get up to
: speed with Linux.  One question though, If I doe this as you suggested,
: does this mean that I would never be able to use either floppy as a boot
: drive? or did I miss something?

: <Steve> Holmes
: Tempe, AZ  USA

No you will still be able boot using your A: drive.  As far as I know
it is not possible to boot using your B: drive.  No auto only refers to
mounting the drives. This typically occurs near the end of the boot
process. If you do not have "noauto" in the line

/dev/fd0  /floppy/dos-a     msdos  user,rw,noauto

then the the O/S will (should) try to mount the drive at boot time.
If your booting with lilo then you will get an error because there will be
no disk in drive A: (/dev/fdo) .  If you are using the linux boot
disk then you will also get an error because the this line tells the
O/S to mount a dos disk.  Since the linux boot disk is not a dos disk
(any one know what format the boot disk is ?) you will also get
an error here.

Colin

As you probably guessed YUCC does not speak for me and I don't
speak for YUCC.

1. Mounting floppy disks from not-root account

When I try to mount/umount my floppy disks from a not-root account
this messages appears "Only root can do this". I use this command:
  # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt -o user
If you know the solution for this problem write me please.

Thank you.

--
Saludos,

                     Pello Sanchez Cuesta
     Irakaskuntza Ikerketa eta Sarearen Informatirako Gunea
      Centro de Informatica de Docencia Investigacion y Red
   UNIVERSIDAD DEL PAIS VASCO / EUSKAL HERRIKO UNIBERTSITATEA
M. de Lardizabal Pasalekua, 1           TEL: + (34) 43 218000 ext. 268
      20009 DONOSTIA             FAX: + (34) 43 219306
     GIPUZKOA / SPAIN

2. small VT cleanup

3. change system date not using root account?

4. SC1200 support?

5. Using USB floppy drive for root floppy

6. Saving local Window Manager in Xdm Logins?

7. Root privilege using non-root account

8. vi, the home row, and PC keyboards

9. Accessing PPP (usernet) using accounts <other> than root - Help!

10. Using PPP via an account other than root

11. Accessing PPP (usernet) using accounts <other> than root - Help!

12. X works when called from root, but not from my account, why?

13. kppp as account not root? (newbie)