can't boot DX2/66M Notebook

Post by Tomohiro Shiba » Fri, 14 Jan 1994 01:44:10

Hello.

I'm trying to install Linux to Dx2/66M Notebook, but it seems so hard
to success.
        Machine Name:   WINnote8200VL(sold by Proside, a japanese
                        famous shop)
        CPU:            DX2/66MHz
        Video:          EGA/VGA, Cirrus Logic
        RAM:            16M
        HDD:            IDE, IBM-H2344-A4, 344MB

Booting from a1.3 disk, LCD becomes black and no characters are seen
right after a stage of font selection(VGA or SVGA). Does anyone out who
have the same experience?

Any comment and information are welcome.
And I also want to know which DX2/66M or 33M Notebook is running under
Linux? Please let me know because I can't find very few candidate from
Japanese computer magazine.

--
--------------------------------

Department of Mechano-informatics,
University of Tokyo; Japan

can't boot DX2/66M Notebook

Post by Tomohiro Shiba » Tue, 18 Jan 1994 15:04:14

Hello, I can boot it and Here is a report.

 |Hello.
 |
 |I'm trying to install Linux to Dx2/66M Notebook, but it seems so hard
 |to success.
 |        Machine Name:         WINnote8200VL(sold by Proside, a japanese
 |                        famous shop)
 |        CPU:          DX2/66MHz
 |        Video:                EGA/VGA, Cirrus Logic
 |        RAM:          16M
 |        HDD:          IDE, IBM-H2344-A4, 344MB
 |
 |Booting from a1.3 disk, LCD becomes black and no characters are seen
 |right after a stage of font selection(VGA or SVGA). Does anyone out who
 |have the same experience?

It is due to SVGA_MODE of kernel configuration. Most of the notebook
can boot from a1 disk above about 0.99pl10. But unfortunately my
notebook can't.
So I took old kernel(pl8) and installed, then I configured kernel that
SVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA.

Now I can boot it by newest kernel that is 0.99pl14, and I can use
ftp, telnet, clisp, and probably X.

But I got information that my notebook can't boot using kernel which
contains PAS16 driver. I strongly want to use it. Is there anyone out
who have same experience or who can overcome that situation?

--
--------------------------------

Department of Mechano-informatics,
University of Tokyo; Japan

1. I just made my DX2/66 a DX2/75!?!?!

After reading about somenoe saying they are running their Intel DX2/66 at
80 mhz, I decided to give it a try with my AMD 66... I changed around the
jumpers on the motherboard and my system said 75Mhz CPU on the bootup
screen!!! I was elated!  I HAD to see if this was really more performance
or just a bullcrap inflated Mhz rating...

I compiled my linux kernel at 66 mhz... Took 124 seconds... After my "modification" it compiled in only 97 secnds!!!! wowow!!!

Is this like puniching holes in DD disks to make them HD only to have them
lose all their data in a few weeks?  What is the downside to ru nning my
CPU a little too fast??  Or am i just getting FREE extra performance???

2. Where can I find information about SIS 620?

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. !! Parallele port settings !!

5. Difficulties booting linux

6. Everex "Commercial Line" notebook, or Stepnote NT/MX, can't boot?

7. Fdisk problems

8. Weird boot problem on Zeos 486 DX2/66

9. Doesn't linux support Cyrix DX2/80?

10. '92 Gateway 486/66 DX2 and Linux, any luck?

11. can't boot 'boot.flp' version 2.2.5

12. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install