Mail program recommendations...

Post by Simon Horsburg » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:26:21

Hi,

I run a small little distribution list for sending jokes to people.  People
send me jokes, I strip the *off them and send them on - no big hassle,
and certainly not worth setting up mailing list software for.  Under
windows I've been using Pegasus Mail, which allows you to create
distribution lists of addresses.  The thing which I really liked about
Pegasus was that you could specify what came up in the To: field.  So
rather than a bunch of recipient email addresses, people on the list would
see To: The Jokes List or somesuch.  This feature is important to me --
apart from looking a hell of a lot nicer, everyone's identity is kept
private.

So, in my transition to Linux at home, my question is this: do you know of
a mail program which will do this in Linux (preferably X based)?  There
seem to be a zillion mail programs for Linux, and I don't want to have to
install them all to find out if they have this feature!

Thanks heaps,
Simon

Post by Sebnem Uzunog » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 10:41:24

> Hi,

> I run a small little distribution list for sending jokes to people.  People
> send me jokes, I strip the *off them and send them on - no big hassle,
> and certainly not worth setting up mailing list software for.  Under
> windows I've been using Pegasus Mail, which allows you to create
> distribution lists of addresses.  The thing which I really liked about
> Pegasus was that you could specify what came up in the To: field.  So
> rather than a bunch of recipient email addresses, people on the list would
> see To: The Jokes List or somesuch.  This feature is important to me --
> apart from looking a hell of a lot nicer, everyone's identity is kept
> private.

> So, in my transition to Linux at home, my question is this: do you know of
> a mail program which will do this in Linux (preferably X based)?  There
> seem to be a zillion mail programs for Linux, and I don't want to have to
> install them all to find out if they have this feature!

> Thanks heaps,
> Simon

If you are using KDE then use Kmail which comes with it. And with the
to: problem. Just write anthing you want to to: field and add
addresses to BCC: field. Bcc stands for blind carbon copy and noone
can see each others addresses and they will see the To: fields you
wrote.

1. Look for recommendations for X mail program to use with fetchmail

I've been using Mozilla and Netscape as my mail programs but I'm not
happy with them. I'd like a mail program that works under X but still
allows me to access the mbox via a command line mail program. Any
suggestions?

--

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ncherry/                  (Text only)
http://linuxha.sourceforge.net/                         (SourceForge)

2. PC Chips 810 LMR with AMR modem

3. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

4. Ftp login under AIX 4.3.x

5. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

6. What is "light C shared image", or, libc.so.4.5.19 broke idraw

7. need recommendation for good TCP\IP program and Terminal Program for FREEBSD 2.2.6

8. XFree86 and SiS 86c205??

9. "mail" program - necessary to run mail server myself to e-mail to Internet?

10. Mail relay program that TRASHES ALL INCOMING MAIL?

11. mail program doesn't send mail

12. mail problem with mail program...

13. Incorporating new mail while inside the mail program