which audio cd player for PAS 16 NEC CD ROM?

which audio cd player for PAS 16 NEC CD ROM?

Post by Vladimir Stavits » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 02:44:18

Hi,
please advice me on which audio cd player to install? I have PAS 16 from Media
Vision (SCSI) with NEC CD ROM. At some point i tried to install one of the
players available, but found that my NEC is not supported.

Is there anything i can use?

Thanks a lot
--
Vladimir Stavitsky

Post by Vladimir Stavits » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 03:44:49

|> Hi,
|> please advice me on which audio cd player to install? I have PAS 16 from Media
|> Vision (SCSI) with NEC CD ROM. At some point i tried to install one of the
|> players available, but found that my NEC is not supported.
|>
|> Is there anything i can use?
|>
|> Thanks a lot
|> --
|> Vladimir Stavitsky

i am posting this followup to my own article, because i got help from
Michael Poag <uunet!jeeves.eng.sematech.org!poagm>
and compiled xcdplay after patching it with NEC specifics.

Still, when i run it, i get

ioctl (cdromreadtochdr): Permission denied

message; i tried to change device definition in the source to /dev/cdrom
or /dev/sr0 - same message; i tried to set permissions on /dev/sr0 to 666 -
same message.

Any suggestions?

--
Vladimir Stavitsky

1. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

Greetings:

 I installed Linux 2.0.0 from the Slakware96 distribution on a 486 PC
that has a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 CD-ROM drive. I installed from floppies
because none of the pre-compiled kernels would work with the drive. I
figured I would build my own kernel that would be customized for my
hardware configuration and then voila --- the CD-ROM drive would be
recognized, etc.
 Nonetheless, with every kernel I have used, whether it was supplied
with the Slakware distribution, or one that I built myself, I run into
the following situation:

 1.) If I boot the machine with a CD-ROM disk in the drive, the little
green light on the driver lights up and then about 20 seconds later the
machine crashes.
 2.) If I boot without a CD-ROM in the drive I get a healthy machine,
but soon after I try to mount a CD-ROM ... the machine crashes.

 When the machine crashes I get console messages that indicate there has
been a "SCSI hang".
 When the machine boots, the PAS16 SCSI controller and the NEC CD-ROM
drive are both recognized. If there is no CD-ROM in the drive, Linux
will attempt to mount the drive three times and then give up with a
message indicating it has assumed there is not CD-ROM in the drive.

 Any ideas?
--
---------------------------------
No meetings, please!

John Zavgren
617-873-2280

2. NE2000 ethernet and linux 2.1.125?

3. PAS 16 - recording off CD-ROM audio

4. shared memory prob

5. Problem with PAS 16 & Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM Drive

6. Hitachi CD-ROM

7. Mitsumi CD-ROM Audio CD player

8. Please Help with mouse problem

9. Playing Audio CDs with NEC CD-ROM drive 260

10. NEC CD-ROM SCSI problems (w/ audio CD)

11. Newbie setup problem with NEC CDR 272 CD player running through SB 16

12. Problem with MEDIAVISION PAS-16 SCSI CD-ROM

13. PAS 16/SCSI CD-ROM