Linux Machine as Unix Dial-in and Voice Answering Machine?

Linux Machine as Unix Dial-in and Voice Answering Machine?

Post by Mark A. Friedm » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 04:44:24

I have a single incoming phone line and am currently considering
several options for sharing the incoming phone line between incoming
modem/fax calls which should be directed to my PC running Linux and
incoming voice calls which I want to direct to an answering machine.

I am considering purchasing a modem with voice mail capabilities,
a fax-switch to route the incoming calls, and a combination fax and
sound card to build answering machine capabilites into my Linux machine.

- I wish to leave my home Linux machine on all day so that I can
  connect to my Linux account at home from my Sun workstation at work.

- I wish incoming voice calls to be routed to an answering machine or
  or to have the Linux machine answer and record incoming calls.  I
  wish to be able to remotely retrieve the recorded messages (and
  perhaps desire some other answering machine features).

- I wish to be able to receive faxes with my fax-modem at home.

- Given that I am purchasing additional hardware, it would be nice if
  all components integrated together with some amount of programmability
  so that I could build other interfaces to my Linux machine and
  interact with it by calling it up from a touchtone phone and have the
  machine respond back through "voice" or have the Linux machine call
  and give messages to a list of phone numbers.

How are you integrating voice calls, data calls, and fax calls on your
Linux machine?  What hardware are you using?  What software are you
using?  What creative ways are you using the capabilities of these
components?

I'll gladly summarize any responses to the net.

Thanks,

-- Mark
I would appreciate any
--

Trinity College                                        Phone: (203) 297-2519
Hartford, Connecticut   06106                            Fax: (203) 297-2569

Post by Robert Brann » Thu, 24 Mar 1994 06:16:46

>  MAF> I have a single incoming phone line and am currently
>  MAF> considering several options for sharing the incoming phone line
>  MAF> between incoming modem/fax calls which should be directed to my
>  MAF> PC running Linux and incoming voice calls which I want to
>  MAF> direct to an answering machine.

>  MAF> I am considering purchasing a modem with voice mail
>  MAF> capabilities, a fax-switch to route the incoming calls, and a
>  MAF> combination fax and sound card to build answering machine
>  MAF> capabilites into my Linux machine.

>[implementation details deleted]

>I am interested in this very same thing.  Please make sure
>this info appears on the list.

>                            Gisli
>--

What you all need is  a switching device made by
 Command Communications
po box 174041
Denver ,Co 80217
this device will intercept a code given from the calling computers
keyboard if one is given after first ring,since after first ring the
device answers call and substitutes it ring sound to the person or
computer calling in. If no code is given call is routed to anserwing
machine I have this device and it works good.

The device is an ASAP TF 333 made by Command Communictns.
technical support no. 1 800 288 6794

I got this device at CompUsa or CompCity ; cost (if I can remember)
around $100 more or less.

Other equivalent devices are also available at the above retail
outlets.

Seeya Robt.

Post by Jean Louis Ntak » Thu, 24 Mar 1994 07:44:09

:   MAF> I have a single incoming phone line and am currently
:   MAF> considering several options for sharing the incoming phone line
:   MAF> between incoming modem/fax calls which should be directed to my
:   MAF> PC running Linux and incoming voice calls which I want to
:   MAF> direct to an answering machine.

:   MAF> I am considering purchasing a modem with voice mail
:   MAF> capabilities, a fax-switch to route the incoming calls, and a
:   MAF> combination fax and sound card to build answering machine
:   MAF> capabilites into my Linux machine.

: [implementation details deleted]

: I am interested in this very same thing.  Please make sure
: this info appears on the list.

:                               Gisli
: --

I have this complete implementation running on a Linux box
    Linux 1.0
    mgetty+sendfax-0.18 including vgetty extensions (G. Doering)
    Zyxel1496E

It works fine.

I'm sure I think on
    sunsite:/pub/linux/system/Serial/mgetty+sendfax-0.18.tar.gz

regards

Jean Louis Ntakpe
Consultant at Siemens Nixdorf

                                        voice-mail: +49 89 642430-12

Post by Bram Bouwe » Fri, 25 Mar 1994 22:53:21

=
=- I wish to leave my home Linux machine on all day so that I can
=  connect to my Linux account at home from my Sun workstation at work.

In such a case, is it feasible to let the machine switch to a sort
of low power mode while idle, e.g. by spinning down the disk(s)
and reducing the CPU clock?

Bram Bouwens

1. Linux-based voice mail / answering machine?

I've done this with vgetty, some simple shell scripts to send email
notification, and a Web server interface.

The problem is that, while it all works, the sound quality is truly
abysmal (I'm using a US Robotics Courier data/fax/voice modem).
Any ideas on how to improve it? Better hardware? A different modem
package?

Peter

2. HELP!!! Where to get DCA-Disk for 2.6 (MCA-Version)?

3. Q: Voice/fax answering machine software for linux?

4. MAKE MONEY AS SEEN IN THE MEDIA!

5. Linux-based voice mail / answering machine?

6. Is there SMP support in FreeBSD?

7. How to setup modem for dial-in and answering machine

8. explain me this if you can

9. Linux Machine as Unix Dial-in and

10. Looking for "voice mail"/"answering machine" software

11. Answering machine using voice modem

12. Voice modem as answering machine

13. voice mail client/answering machine