Dlink 220 ether cards question

Post by Donald J. Beck » Wed, 06 Apr 1994 00:37:55

Quote:>Hi,
>Our college uses dlink 220 cards for most of their machines.
>I have read about their almost ne2000 compatibilities and I have
>mentioned this to our net admin. (he supplied me with a card for our
>linux box).
>    He would like to know what exactly is the problem with the
>dlink card, as in what is the incompatibility as when he got the cards
>from the suppliers, he was told that they were fully ne2000 compatible.

The D-Link ethercards don't have the '0x57' ID words in their station
address PROMs.  This makes it difficult to identify them as NE2000 clones.

Details can be found in drivers/net/ne.c.

[[ Isn't it great to have the source? ]]

MS-DOS drivers typically don't care, because they don't probe for
ethercards or do automatic selection between NE1000 and NE2000.  You must
use a different driver for the NE1000 and NE2000, and tell the driver the
location of the ethercard and the IRQ it uses.  Some MS-DOS NE2000 drivers
do so little checking that they will appear to "work" even if the ethercard
isn't there!

--

IDA Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive, Bowie MD 20715                        301-805-7482