Questions about DOS\FDISK & Linux install

Questions about DOS\FDISK & Linux install

Post by Giancarlo Castrata » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 15:01:43

a. delete 120m dos partition
b. create 60m dos partition w/ dos fdisk
c. create 50m linux partition (native) w/ linux fdisk
d. create 10m (or whatever) linux partition (swap) w/ linux fdisk

It is also possible to have the swap file use the FAT (dos) file
system so you can use it for windoze, os/2, or whatever...

---
Giancarlo

Questions about DOS\FDISK & Linux install

Post by Ross Boswe » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 03:42:42

: How can I get two 60MB "primary" partitions on my 120MB C drive?

: I am trying to install Slackware Linux on my 120MB C drive, which now
: has on it only a single primary DOS partition that takes up the whole
: disk.

: I want to end up with TWO "primary" partions of 60 MB each, the first one
: for DOS and the second one for Linux.

Only one partition can be primary.  The MBR (master boot record) of that
partition will be the program your system boots to.  It could be DOS
(in which case you will need to get the program bootlin.exe that boots
Linux from a DOS config.sys file) or it could be LILO the Linux loader
that offers the ability of booting Linux, DOS, OS/2 etc.

You will find some progs (eg FIPS08) that will allow you to create
new partitions on your disk without destroying your exisisting DOS
data -- that might be convenient!

You should allow 8-16MB for Linux swap, either as a partition or as
a swap file within a partition.

--
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

| Christchurch School of Medicine         |  FAX      +64 3 364 0525    |
| PO Box 4345, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND  |  Phone    +64 3 364 0590    |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

Questions about DOS\FDISK & Linux install

Post by Georg Vollme » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 23:00:24

Sorry Ross!

: : How can I get two 60MB "primary" partitions on my 120MB C drive?
:
: : I am trying to install Slackware Linux on my 120MB C drive, which now
: : has on it only a single primary DOS partition that takes up the whole
: : disk.
:
: : I want to end up with TWO "primary" partions of 60 MB each, the first one
: : for DOS and the second one for Linux.
:
: Only one partition can be primary.

Here you are wrong! There are up to 4 primary partions possible on a PC
Harddrive! But only one of these will be signed bootable!
And the Master Boot Record (MBR) does not belong to a partion, but points to
the bootable partion. The rest seems okay from me!

Greetings Georg

:  The MBR (master boot record) of that
: partition will be the program your system boots to.  It could be DOS
: (in which case you will need to get the program bootlin.exe that boots
: Linux from a DOS config.sys file) or it could be LILO the Linux loader
: that offers the ability of booting Linux, DOS, OS/2 etc.
:
: You will find some progs (eg FIPS08) that will allow you to create
: new partitions on your disk without destroying your exisisting DOS
: data -- that might be convenient!
:
: You should allow 8-16MB for Linux swap, either as a partition or as
: a swap file within a partition.
:
: --
: +-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

: | Christchurch School of Medicine         |  FAX      +64 3 364 0525    |
: | PO Box 4345, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND  |  Phone    +64 3 364 0590    |
: +-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
--
Georg Vollmers, 30159 Hannover, Kokenstr.10, Germoney

Quote:>>> 192.109.225.110 mtu 296 compressed or uncompressed<<<

PC users:use Linux! Lovers:use lubbers! Rich:send money! Poor: can't read this

1. dos fdisk & linux fdisk GREAT INCOMPATIBILITY

Hi linux friends... I have a little problem here and i hoped that you could
help me.
I recently bought a 40,0 GB hd. I used linux fdisk to create my partitions.
So i created 3 primary and 1 extended with 8 logical drive in it. OK till
now I'm very happy, but... When I load dos/windows and i use fdisk to see my
partitions fdisk could recognize only the 3 primary and the extended
partition, the logical drives where unreadable for dos fdisk. Why this
happened? How can i fix it? You are welcome to ask me whatever technical
information you need, in order to help me... Please do so ;-)

2. smb.conf

3. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

4. Configuring 2 PCI Nics?

5. FDISK dos vs. FDISK linux

6. C library to access dBase files

7. Problems with number of heads from DOS FDISK partitions and Linux fdisk on 8.4 GB drive

8. RedHat 3.0.3 Hangs During Install

9. DOS FDISK vs. Linux FDISK

10. DOS fdisk won't recognize changes made by linux fdisk

11. Linux fdisk vs. DOS fdisk

12. DOS-fdisk erkennt nach Linux-fdisk keine Festplatte mehr

13. DOS fdisk messed up after Linux successfully installed ...