SLS 1.03 installation hitches

Post by Alexey Login » Mon, 30 Aug 1993 11:20:07

1. tapeinstall stopped

     when the tape was created, tar null padded blocks, tarsh
     doesn't like to see the extra nulls.

     fixed by putting cat >/dev/null at the bottom of the
     script called by tarsh (soaks up the nulls after gzip
     is done uncompressing) [send the nulls to null, seems fitting :-)]

2. permissions on many directories were not secure.  I'm not sure
   about the fixit scripts and such - they ran, perhaps the order
   they were called was wrong.  It appears that /etc/sy*s didn't
   run.  That fixed up most things.  but these things may still
   have been off:

          xtetris, sendmail, and emac's movemail did not setuid root

          /tmp did not have a sticky bit, nor was it writeable by
          users

          /usr was open for anyone to delete or add files

          I don't know the implications of allowing dosemu to
          setuid root, but after setting protections in /dev
          it has to be run from root, or setuid root. Please
          correct me if I am wrong.

3. no include file called "autoconf.h" in /usr/include/linux.

      This include file is included into config.h, and since
      it was not there it caused a make of LILO to crash.

      I just added a two line file:
             #define UTS_NODENAME "intrepid"
             #define UTS_SYSNAME "Linux"

      Is this right? where should this include file come from?

4. No library called libipc

      causes dosemu compile to crash

            .. I'm off looking for it right now..
                hmmm where is it? what is it?

SLS - you all have done great!

SLS 1.03 installation hitches

Post by Craig I. Hag » Mon, 30 Aug 1993 14:09:29

: 4. No library called libipc
:
:       causes dosemu compile to crash
:
:             .. I'm off looking for it right now..
:                 hmmm where is it? what is it?

delete the -lipc from the makefile and it will work.

my comments:

the default fstab seems to be a little mucky, ive had the
install script do weird things. also, an option to NOT nuke
a filesystem, but use it for installatin would be very nice.
I have had trouble with 1.03 setting lilo up properly, also.
then there is the net-2 support for ifcon*
and route setups.... (well, it WAS a major change...)

: SLS - you all have done great!

agreed, for all of my complaints, it is still my recommended
way to go (i keep an SLS NFS server handy).

-- craig

SLS 1.03 installation hitches

Post by Daniel Quinl » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:39:57

Forgive, my newsfeed, it is a day or two behind lately.

> 1. tapeinstall stopped
> [deleted]
> 2. permissions on many directories were not secure.
> [deleted]
> 3. no include file called "autoconf.h" in /usr/include/linux.
> [deleted]
> 4. No library called libipc
> [deleted]

The MCC Interim release had none of these problems nor any of the
other problems surrounding the vastly bugridden SLS 1.03 release (that
was falsely claimed to solve these same problems).

Quote:> SLS - you all have done great!

MCC - has done better.

When I first installed Linux (with SLS 1.01, I think), I too, was
enthusiastic about SLS, I even bothered reporting bugs and problems,
but when the new version came out and it was even worse than the last,
I toasted it and got a real release.

Nobody needs it all.  Only (more or less) DOS/Windows or Macintosh
users want _everything_ upon installation.  Grow up and learn how to
install on your own.  You'll like it better if you understand it
anyway.

SLS is a de-facto standard in the same way that MSDOS is one.  People
perceive it to be best, but are enlightened sooner or later.

I preceive Slackware's direction of even installing MORE than SLS to
be the wrong philosophy.  MCC has it right.  Better documentation,
better installation procedure, better structure, better motive (profit
is not their primary motive), better EVERYTHING.

When will the Linux community and FAQ group grow up?

Dan

--
[ Daniel Quinlan                    |   Computer Science Engineer `95 ]

Post by David Ruggier » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 13:59:56

>SLS is a de-facto standard in the same way that MSDOS is one.  People
>perceive it to be best, but are enlightened sooner or later.
>I preceive Slackware's direction of even installing MORE than SLS to
>be the wrong philosophy.  MCC has it right.  Better documentation,
>better installation procedure, better structure, better motive (profit
>is not their primary motive), better EVERYTHING.
>When will the Linux community and FAQ group grow up?

For what it's worth, from a new Linux user: I mucked about for most of
last week week trying to get SLS 1.03 up and running and got nothing
but grief for my efforts. Within 15 minutes of ftping the latest MCC
release onto my system, I was up and running.

YMMV.

David

--

          Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait point.

1. SLS 1.03 installation: bad TCP assumption

After cursing at SLS-1.03 for not working, i sat down, and looked:
and i noticed something interesting, the default netmask for sls-1.03
is a class C number, and i am a class B address. changing that --
and adding a route (more in a sec) solved all of my problems

here is my rc.net now:

note: 255.255.0.0 is a class B netmask ditto 128.119.255.255 being a
class B broadcast.

# /etc/rc.net
# Linux networking startup script.  Should be run by /etc/rc.local at
# boot time.  Configures the interfaces and starts the deamons.
# It assumes hostname has been set.
#
#
echo -n "/etc/rc.net: "

HOSTS=/etc/hosts
INETD=/etc/inetd
NAMED=/etc/named
PORTMAP=/etc/portmap
NFSD=/etc/nfsd
MOUNTD=/etc/mountd
IPDEV=eth0

HOSTNAME=`hostname`

# This needs more testing and more diagnostics. */
IPADDR=`grep "^[^#]*\b$HOSTNAME\b" $HOSTS | cut -f1`

echo  -n "$HOSTNAME($IPADDR)"

# Router,  get it from the /etc/hosts file
ROUTER=`grep "^[^#]*\brouter\b" $HOSTS | cut -f1`

# Net, get it from the /etc/hosts file
NET=`grep "^[^#]*\bnetwork\b" $HOSTS | cut -f1`

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up netmask 255.255.255.0
route add 127.0.0.1 lo
ifconfig eth0 up 128.119.41.236  broadcast 128.119.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0
route add 128.119.41.0
route add default gw 128.119.1.2 1

if [ -x $PORTMAP ]; then
        echo -n ", `basename $PORTMAP`"
        $PORTMAP
fi

if [ -x $INETD ]; then
        echo -n ", `basename $INETD`"
        $INETD
fi

if [ -x $NAMED ]; then
        echo -n ", `basename $NAMED`"
        $NAMED
fi

if [ -x $NFSD ]; then
        echo -n ", `basename $NFSD`"
        $NFSD -f /etc/exports
fi

if [ -x $MOUNTD ]; then
        echo -n ", `basename $MOUNTD`"
        $MOUNTD
fi

echo ""

2. Apache Authenification problem

3. Installation Problems with SLS 1.03

4. Help on using the spray command

5. HELP-SLS 1.03 installation problem

6. Undelete command???

7. Installation problems SLS 1.03

8. installing mandrake 7.2

9. New SLS 1.03 installation - 3 problems

10. SLS 1.03 installation: bad TCP assumption

11. SLS 1.03 - network installation not suppoerted?

12. SLS 1.03: Installation and configuration [with fixes] (long)

13. dvips not finding fonts (SLS 1.03 TeX installation)--help!