Problems compiling ANYTHING under Linux

Post by Alexander Wither » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:05:50

This seems like it might be a hardware problem but I will ask here
anyway.  I have been running Debian 3.0 on my system for about the past
10 months.  In that time I have rarely needed to compile anything but
recently I have been trying to compile some rather large pieces of
software (linux 2.4.18, postgres, etc.).

I have noticed that these compile jobs will fail at random spots with a
segmentation fault or "signal 4".  Sometimes I can simply run "make"
again and it will continue on to complete the job or fail further on in
a similar manner.  I began to get suspicious of my RAM (which, by the
way, was upgraded about 14 months ago and never seemed to cause me
problems) and thus I tried to compile large pieces of software on
freebsd and netbsd.  Both gave me the same sort of trouble:  kernel
panics, bus errors, seg faults, etc.  And, as with Debian, I could
sometimes re-run "make" several times for a successful build.

At this point I decided to run memtest86 3.0 to see if it could catch
any errors.  I left it running for about 12 hours while I was away.  It
ran through several passes of its 11 or so tests with no errors
detected.  This, coupled with the fact that I would only get these
errors while compiling, left me rather dumb-founded.

I have tried looking through various mailing list and newsgroup archives
to see if anyone had similar problems.  Naturally, given the vague
nature of this problem, I failed to find anything that might point me in
the right direction for getting to the bottom of this.

If anyone could give some helpful suggestions about what I do to help
determine what is causing this annoying behavior I would much
apppreciate it.

Thanks,
Alex

Post by Alexander Wither » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:10:27

[...]

Post by Robert Crawfo » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:15:28

I would immediately suspect overheating of the cpu. Do you have
adequate heatsink/fan for the cpu, and good case cooling? Good case
air cooling will affect the cpu temps as well. Even a few degrees can
make a difference, and cause seemingly random inexplicable problems.
The main clue is that the problems are occurring on cpu intensive
operations, like compiling.

Robert Crawford

Post by Alexander Wither » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:22:54

> I would immediately suspect overheating of the cpu. Do you have
> adequate heatsink/fan for the cpu, and good case cooling? Good case
> air cooling will affect the cpu temps as well. Even a few degrees can
> make a difference, and cause seemingly random inexplicable problems.
> The main clue is that the problems are occurring on cpu intensive
> operations, like compiling.

Thanks, I cleaned out about four years of dust on the processor fan and
it seems to work fine as of now.  I also checked the BIOS which reported
it as running about 5 degrees celsius cooler than it usually does.

Alex

1. cc problem - can't compile anything!!!

Hi--

I'm trying to compile some VERY simple C code using cc , and i keep
winding up with
errors saying "can't find /usr/lib/uopt", and "FATAL IO ERROR:
(/usr/lib/crt1.o) no
such file or directory"
    Now, we've got 3 SGI's, and all have standard IRIX 6.3 installed,
which i believe
should include the standard C compiler package. I've searched on all 3
machines for
"uopt" or "crt1.o", and none of them come up with anything... but inst>
is showing
me that the ANSI C and compiler packages are installed...does anyone
know
exactly what files I need to compile and link an executable?  If someone
could provide a
list of these file (skip /usr/include, I've got all the headers ok)
--Thanks in advance for any help!
--Jason Simmons

2. Uploading/Download Telnet

3. Problems compiling anything on 4.2-release

4. Linux Binaries......

5. Problems compiling anything using X libraries

6. 5.1-Release compiling issues

7. Problems compiling ANYTHING!

8. Linux as WWW server

9. Problem compiling ANYTHING!

10. Problem compiling anything with -lX11 !!

11. Can't compile anything ... RedHat Linux 4.1

12. ldconfig disappeared, cannot run anything, do anything

13. linux ppp routing problems - can't ping anything!