Linux/DOS soundcard incompatibility?

Post by Scott A. La » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 01:33:19

Hello,

I have my system configured with Linux and DOS partitions, with LILO as
the boot manager.

When I boot DOS, my soundcard works great.  When I boot Linux, my
soundcard also works great.

But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
sound is generated from any of my applications.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
  * =====\==/                                     Scott A. Lane *
  * ======\/            Visual     Systems Engineer/Support Mgr *
  * ======/\           Database                                 *

  * I M A G E                             fax #:   408-993-1050 *

Linux/DOS soundcard incompatibility?

Post by Greg Cis » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 22:08:50

Quote:> Hello,

> I have my system configured with Linux and DOS partitions, with LILO as
> the boot manager.

> When I boot DOS, my soundcard works great.  When I boot Linux, my
> soundcard also works great.

> But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
> an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
> sound is generated from any of my applications.

> Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any help would be appreciated.

No... But, you are probably doing a soft re-boot (cntl-alt-del). If you
did a hard reboot (re-set button or cycle the power) The sound card will
probably run right. Linux is probably doing some software setting on your
card, and doesn't put it back the way it found it when you quit.

> Thanks,
> Scott
> --
>   ***************************************************************
>   * =====\==/                                     Scott A. Lane *
>   * ======\/            Visual     Systems Engineer/Support Mgr *
>   * ======/\           Database                                 *

>   * I M A G E                             fax #:   408-993-1050 *
>   ***************************************************************

Linux/DOS soundcard incompatibility?

Post by Andries Kruith » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 19:57:12

=>Hello,
=>
=>I have my system configured with Linux and DOS partitions, with LILO as
=>the boot manager.
=>
=>When I boot DOS, my soundcard works great.  When I boot Linux, my
=>soundcard also works great.
=>
=>But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
=>an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
=>sound is generated from any of my applications.
=>
=>Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any help would be appreciated.
=>
=>Thanks,
=>Scott
=>--

Yes, I've seen this problem as well. As Greg already pointed out in his mail,
the difference is between doing a 'soft' reset and a 'hard' reset. When doing
a 'soft' reset from linux (reboot command), and starting DOS, one of the
drivers which is installed during config.sys processing gives an error-message.
I haven't done any further investigating though.

regards,

AKr

---
------------------------------------
| Message is author's opinion only |
|                                  |
| Andries Kruithof                 |
| Schlumberger Geco-Prakla         |

------------------------------------

Post by Stephen Harr » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 05:04:24

: > But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
: > an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
: > sound is generated from any of my applications.

: No... But, you are probably doing a soft re-boot (cntl-alt-del). If you
: did a hard reboot (re-set button or cycle the power) The sound card will
: probably run right. Linux is probably doing some software setting on your
: card, and doesn't put it back the way it found it when you quit.

I also have this problem with my SB16.  When I quit Linux and reboot to DOS
to play DOOM (why else?) then Doom craps out complaining.  Trying to use
vplay etc complain about the interrupt (IRQ) not being correct.  Oh well.

A hard boot (reset button) restores things to working status.

FWIW: I use loadlin 1.4  (hmm, haven't tried with loadlin1.5 and kernel 1.1.49
yet, but I don't suppose it makes any difference).

Just a minor annoyance I'm happy to live with :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

Post by Jay » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 00:00:54

>: > But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
>: > an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
>: > sound is generated from any of my applications.

>: No... But, you are probably doing a soft re-boot (cntl-alt-del). If you
>: did a hard reboot (re-set button or cycle the power) The sound card will
>: probably run right. Linux is probably doing some software setting on your
>: card, and doesn't put it back the way it found it when you quit.

>I also have this problem with my SB16.  When I quit Linux and reboot to DOS
>to play DOOM (why else?) then Doom craps out complaining.  Trying to use
>vplay etc complain about the interrupt (IRQ) not being correct.  Oh well.

>A hard boot (reset button) restores things to working status.

Check this out, I am having exactly the opposite problem. My sound card wont
work when I first power up and start Linux.  I have to boot under DOS and
load the DOS SB16 driver, then warm boot back to Linux for the sound
card to work.  Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

Linux/DOS soundcard incompatibility?

Post by Hannu Savolain » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 04:48:22

Quote:>Hello,
>I have my system configured with Linux and DOS partitions, with LILO as
>the boot manager.
>When I boot DOS, my soundcard works great.  When I boot Linux, my
>soundcard also works great.
>But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
>an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
>sound is generated from any of my applications.

Most of the current soundcards have some kind of software configuration
for IRQ and DMA setings. If you use different settings with Linux than
with DOS/Windows, this may cause trouble. Some cards don't accept
new parameters before complete reset (power off/power on). There are no
problems as long as the DOS and Linux settings are the same.

Hannu
--
-----------------------------
Hannu Savolainen

"Don't use Windows since there is a door!"

Post by Hannu Savolain » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 04:52:11

>Check this out, I am having exactly the opposite problem. My sound card wont
>work when I first power up and start Linux.  I have to boot under DOS and
>load the DOS SB16 driver, then warm boot back to Linux for the sound
>card to work.  Any ideas on this one?

Have you compiled the sound driver with support for SB16. The plain SB
driver doesn't contain code which initializes mixer and sets values to
some config registers. And the card won't work if these registers are
not initialized.

Hannu
--
-----------------------------

Post by Mike Batchel » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 09:32:53

>=>When I boot DOS, my soundcard works great.  When I boot Linux, my
>=>soundcard also works great.
>=>
>=>But if I boot Linux, then reboot to DOS, when I launch MS Windows I get
>=>an error message about the MIDI port setting not being correct and no
>=>sound is generated from any of my applications.
>Yes, I've seen this problem as well. As Greg already pointed out in his mail,
>the difference is between doing a 'soft' reset and a 'hard' reset. When doing
>a 'soft' reset from linux (reboot command), and starting DOS, one of the
>drivers which is installed during config.sys processing gives an error-message.
>I haven't done any further investigating though.

It's pretty common, I think, for multi-OS systems.  When I soft-boot after
halting Solaris, the com1 is hosed for the mouse in Linux and DOS.  If I
soft boot after running X in Linux, the video is hosed for Solaris and
Windows graphics.  If I soft boot after running Windows sound, the audio
card (GUS) is hosed for Linux (it's always hosed for Solaris :).

Hard resets fix everything, except the com1 problem for the mouse after
halting Solaris.  That requires a power off to fix.

People are like a box of chocolates.  Yum!
                                           -- Forrest Dahmer

1. dos fdisk & linux fdisk GREAT INCOMPATIBILITY

Hi linux friends... I have a little problem here and i hoped that you could
help me.
I recently bought a 40,0 GB hd. I used linux fdisk to create my partitions.
So i created 3 primary and 1 extended with 8 logical drive in it. OK till
now I'm very happy, but... When I load dos/windows and i use fdisk to see my
partitions fdisk could recognize only the 3 primary and the extended
partition, the logical drives where unreadable for dos fdisk. Why this
happened? How can i fix it? You are welcome to ask me whatever technical
information you need, in order to help me... Please do so ;-)

2. 1.7GB SCSI drive and Adaptec 1540B and Linux

3. modem and soundcard incompatibility

4. A spammer in the works

5. Soundcard incompatibility? Intel Advanced/EV HELP

6. VLAN/DHCP IP Address by Floor

7. Best DOS/Linux soundcard response summary

8. Question on fs/tcp bind (Solaris 2.6)

9. Audiowave (ESS) soundcard help needed for linux/dos/windows

10. Help: best soundcard for Linux & DOS

11. Incompatibility between msdos fs code and actual DOS

13. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine