bdflush not running ... so?

Post by Brad Murr » Mon, 23 May 1994 07:39:37

I just installed version 1.0 of Linux with 4.5.23 shared libs, compiled with
the latest gcc and all seems to be smooth --- except that I periodically get
the message:

Warning -- bdflush not running

Seems to happen most frequently during heavy disk access, but I can't be
sure of that.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
----------------------------------------#---##-------------------------------
Brad Murray                 ## ##  ### ##  # #  "Don't ask me, I don't know

-----------------------------#-#----#----------------------------------------

bdflush not running ... so?

Post by Donald Jeff Dion » Tue, 24 May 1994 08:41:39

: I just installed version 1.0 of Linux with 4.5.23 shared libs, compiled with
: the latest gcc and all seems to be smooth --- except that I periodically get
: the message:

: Warning -- bdflush not running

upgrade your update to bdflush.

: Seems to happen most frequently during heavy disk access, but I can't be
: sure of that.

: Any help would be appreciated.
: --
: ----------------------------------------#---##-------------------------------
: Brad Murray               ## ##  ### ##  # #  "Don't ask me, I don't know

: -----------------------------#-#----#----------------------------------------
this is an FAQ.....

bdflush not running ... so?

Post by Brad Murr » Tue, 24 May 1994 10:26:15

: upgrade your update to bdflush.
: this is an FAQ.....

Maybe you could elaborate?  I got the InfoMagick cd for April with stuff
from sunsite and tsx and all the FAQs I could want, and can find NO mention
of bdflush, nor an occurence of it.  Plenty of archives containing
/bin/update, but not a single instance of bdflush that I could find.  A
pointer to the actual FAQ that has the information would be more useful
than your comment.
--
----------------------------------------#---##-------------------------------

Post by Donald Jeff Dion » Thu, 26 May 1994 03:57:30

: : upgrade your update to bdflush.
: : this is an FAQ.....

I did NOT mean to be mean to be rude.  Sorry if it came out that way.

: Maybe you could elaborate?  I got the InfoMagick cd for April with stuff
: from sunsite and tsx and all the FAQs I could want, and can find NO mention
: of bdflush, nor an occurence of it.  Plenty of archives containing
: /bin/update, but not a single instance of bdflush that I could find.  A
: pointer to the actual FAQ that has the information would be more useful
: than your comment.

Ok.  Have a look on nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus....  in there
if the thing.  It handles flushing the buffers in the new clustering code
put into recent kernels.  Gives a great big improvement in disk throughput...

: --
: ----------------------------------------#---##-------------------------------
: Brad Murray                 ## ##  ### ##  # #  "Don't ask me, I don't know

: -----------------------------#-#----#----------------------------------------

PS.  bdflush is on the fantastic April infomagic... I have it too.  Where?
now that's a different question.  The Slackware distribution has it, and
it's installed automagically...HIHI.  You might look in the directory for
kernel or the kernel-sources, the stuff in there comes from funet so bdflush
will most likely be there.  Then put in in an approprate place and link
update to it.

If you have any drastic problems, give me a e-mail, i'd be glad to help.

73! de Jeff / VE3DJF

1. BDFLUSH not running?

Hi there,
Would someone be kind enough to explain what the
following msg. means. It appeared in /var/adm/messages,

kernel: warning bdflush not running.

Is this a critical  problem that I should remedy
immediately?

Thanks
Joo Thiam

2. RH8 kernel upgrade via rpm destroys /etc/lilo.conf

3. bdflush not running???

4. ONTRACK DYNAMIC DISK MGR (Was FIPS and fdisk proglems)

5. bdflush not running

6. Example not working.

7. Help, bdflush not running: Do I care?

8. Red Hat 5.0 setup

9. update (bdflush) not running

10. Getting a lot of bdflush not running

11. bdflush not running?

12. Help! Warning: bdflush not running.

13. Warning - bdflush not running with Kernel 1.1.62 ?