How to set up routing table or gateway tables for ppp?

How to set up routing table or gateway tables for ppp?

Post by azur » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 05:28:35

Hi all,

Somehow I couldn't telnet to the remote hosts after I fired pppd.  It gives me
blah blah unreachable...

I need to set up a "gateway" table (or may be I should call it routing table?).
Everytime I dila out using pppd and chat I will be assign to a different IP
address.  Associate with that IP address I will have a gateway address.
There are 10 or 20 possible gateway addresses.  So, my question is how can set
up a table so that pppd (?) will look at all the possible gateway addresses and
find the right gateway address for the ppp IP address?  Should I put all the
gateway addresses in "resolv.conf" file?  What is the right way to do this?
Thanks!

        -Joan

Post by azur » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 06:23:54

: Hi all,

: Somehow I couldn't telnet to the remote hosts after I fired pppd.  It gives me
: blah blah unreachable...

: I need to set up a "gateway" table (or may be I should call it routing table?).
: Everytime I dila out using pppd and chat I will be assign to a different IP
: address.  Associate with that IP address I will have a gateway address.
: There are 10 or 20 possible gateway addresses.  So, my question is how can set
: up a table so that pppd (?) will look at all the possible gateway addresses and
: find the right gateway address for the ppp IP address?  Should I put all the
: gateway addresses in "resolv.conf" file?  What is the right way to do this?
: Thanks!

:       -Joan
:

Well, I tried to add all the nameserver ip addresses in resolv.conf file.
But, still got "...network unreachable".  Why????????????

        -Joan

Post by Stormy Henders » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 11:02:37

   Somehow I couldn't telnet to the remote hosts after I fired pppd.  It gives me
   blah blah unreachable...

   I need to set up a "gateway" table (or may be I should call it routing table?).
   Everytime I dila out using pppd and chat I will be assign to a different IP
   address.  Associate with that IP address I will have a gateway address.
   There are 10 or 20 possible gateway addresses.  So, my question is how can set
   up a table so that pppd (?) will look at all the possible gateway addresses and
   find the right gateway address for the ppp IP address?  Should I put all the
   gateway addresses in "resolv.conf" file?  What is the right way to do this?
   Thanks!

Add the option -default (or -defaultroute, I forget which) to pppd, that will
setup everything for you.

Be happy...

- Stormy the happinator     "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ
                             Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
  Reply to:                  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,

Post by gree » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:06:20

: Add the option -default (or -defaultroute, I forget which) to pppd, that will
: setup everything for you.

: Be happy...

Yeah, I did that too... But, seems like there is lots of communications going
on between my modem and cpu after it got connected.  And I just can telnet...

I am curious about if I set my system right.  What I mean is the system is
configured only for "loopback".  Will that be the problem???  I am kind of
confused... :(

        -Joan

Post by Al Longye » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 12:25:37

>Hi all,
>Somehow I couldn't telnet to the remote hosts after I fired pppd.  It
>gives me blah blah unreachable...
>I need to set up a "gateway" table (or may be I should call it
>routing table?).  Everytime I dial out using pppd and chat I will be
>assign to a different IP address.  Associate with that IP address I
>will have a gateway address.  There are 10 or 20 possible gateway
>addresses.  So, my question is how can set up a table so that pppd (?)
>will look at all the possible gateway addresses and find the right
>gateway address for the ppp IP address?  Should I put all the gateway
>addresses in "resolv.conf" file?  What is the right way to do this?

The normal routing functions will work with a single workstation. If you
have more than one network (and wish to do a remote bridge or router), then
you would put a network route into the /etc/ppp/ip-up script.

If you have a dynamic single IP address then you don't need to do anything
special about routing. The pppd process will generate the proper route with
the proper IP address. (Don't forget the defaultroute parameter to pppd.)

In addition, the following message appeared on the ppp mail list. It may
help. Just set the /etc/host.conf file so that it searches the host file
before you search the bind library.

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 23:14:19 +0200

Subject: Dynamic address assignment

Hi!

        Here's a simple script I've written to modify my /etc/hosts
as soon as my PPP link is available.  That way I don't have to modify
it manually before I use 'talk'.

Here it is:

#!/bin/sh
#############################################################################
# Script    : /etc/ppp/ip-up

# Date      : 94-10-04;
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Purpose   : Change the local IP in /etc/hosts to match the one
#             in the PPP interface.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Parameters: $1 = interface-name
#             $2 = tty-device
#             $3 = speed
#             $4 = local-IP-address
#             $5 = remote-IP-address.
#############################################################################
echo 'Running /etc/ppp/ip-up...'
echo 'Fixing /etc/hosts for dynamic IP...'
(echo '%s/^[0-9\.]*\(.*'`hostname`'$\)/'$4'\1/'; echo wq) |
        ed /etc/hosts >& /dev/null

Let me know if you find it useful!

Salut!
 +----------------------------+---------------------------------------------+

 | M.Sc. Student              +---------------------------------------------+
 | School of Computer Science | "I refuse to join any club that would have  |
 | McGill University          |  me as a member."          -- Groucho Marx  |
 +----------------------------+---------------------------------------------+

--

1. How Do Routing Table Entries Get Added to Routing Table at Bootup?

I have, what I think, is a simple question for the TCP/IP guys out there
who are familar with routing tables on AIX 4.1.5/4.2.1 in an IBM SP
environment. Or maybe not.

I have recently noticed that when I execute a 'netstat -r' on a
particular node in the SP environment, there are routing table entries
that I know I didn't put in there. I have to delete these "unwelcomed"
entries and re-add the correct ones. This is undesireable and maybe a
quick crash course in routing tables is justified. These unwelcomed
routing table entries seem to be automatically added right after I have
IPL'ed the node in question.

How did these routing table entries get added in the routing table? Does
anybody know the process?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. make and compiling gcc-2.7.0

3. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

4. How do I zmodem between unix systems ?

5. RH 5.2: Routing table losing default route/gateway

6. SCSI Caliper Tape Kernel panics

7. C programming Error : Assertion failed: table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_NO_WRITE || table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_ZERO_FILL || table ?

8. Mouse dies in kernel 2.4.13

9. pppd not setting up default route in routing table

10. Problems routing table - Losing default gateway - ISDN

11. How to check if a specific gateway entry exist route table?

12. two gateways in routing table?

13. route table does not show gateway numbers/names