Issues printing over Samba with LPRng-3.8.20 and ESP Ghostscript 7.05 on Slackware 9.0

Issues printing over Samba with LPRng-3.8.20 and ESP Ghostscript 7.05 on Slackware 9.0

Post by Davi » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:59:15

Hello,
I am trying to print to a SMB shared printer on my windows 2000 machine
from my slackware 9.0 machine and not having much luck.
I ran apsfilter to set up the printer and the test page printed
successfully.  That was as far as I got.  I am not able to print from any
application.
When  I attempt to use lpr to print a file with no other command line
arguements I get the following error:

lpr: error - no default destination available

When I instruct lpr to print to the printer named lp (the only printer
installed) I get this error.

lpr: unable to print file: client-error-not-found

I have made sure LPD is running (or it shows up in ps -ef at least) and
that there are no weird things in my printcap that shouldn't be.  Because
the test page worked I think ghostscript and gimp print are working
properly, leaving only lpd.  I haven't been able to find much of anything
about other users of LPRng having this problem.  If anyone has any
suggestions for places to go to read up on this problem or can draw
anything from personal experience I would be very greatful to hear about
it.

Thanks for your time,
David

Post by Joost Kremer » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:06:31

> Hello,
> I am trying to print to a SMB shared printer on my windows 2000 machine
> from my slackware 9.0 machine and not having much luck.
> I ran apsfilter to set up the printer and the test page printed
> successfully.  That was as far as I got.  I am not able to print from any
> application.

did you install the new printer by selecting `I' from the apsfilter SETUP
menu? IME that's usually the problem when the testpage prints ok but
printing afterwards doesn't work. IIRC SETUP does not install its printer
as lp but by default as aps1, so if you only have lp in your printcap, you
may have forgotten this step.

--
Joost Kremers           http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
mail me for a bon mot