linux & X slow on 386?

Post by PAUL SANCH » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 00:13:53

>> So is it me or is X on a 386 unbearably slow?  I have just installed
>> the slackware dist. of linux and XFree86.  I have a 386DX-33 with
>> 8MB of ram and a Diamond SpeedStarPro graphics card.  X runs so slow
>> with this setup that there is NO point using it.   Could this be my setup
>> or is it just a lack of potent hardware?

>> thanks,
>> Colin

>Do you have a swapfile enabled?  Until recently I was running with 8
>meg of RAM, and if I disabled my vertual memory, it ran like a dog
>and actually locked up a couple of times.

>You might want to run "top" in an xterm window to see what the
>situation is.

I am using a 386dx33 with 8megs ram too. The old beast is running
X. I don't find it that slow(but of course, we are dealing with a 386 :)

I find that on startup, there are tons of useless apps and processes
that are started, like sendmail, gpm.. as is when X starts up
I have practically no free memory left.

I a problem when I booted Linux, no swap space, adding the swapon /dev/<?> to
one of the start up file(can't remember the one...) solved it.

Could someone please help me with my problem?
After compiling a larger application, and trying to run it, I get a
floating point exception error?!?!?!? I don't have a math coporcessor
and I did recompile the kernel with math emulation on. WHY, do I get this then?

I really need to get this program working soon.

Thanks,

Paul

1. linux & X slow on 386?

So is it me or is X on a 386 unbearably slow?  I have just installed
the slackware dist. of linux and XFree86.  I have a 386DX-33 with
8MB of ram and a Diamond SpeedStarPro graphics card.  X runs so slow
with this setup that there is NO point using it.   Could this be my setup
or is it just a lack of potent hardware?

thanks,
Colin

2. SuSe on alpha - cannot change password

3. Linux on a slow 386?

4. Unix Sysadmin/Systems Prog Position at Emory U

5. Linux on 386/16, 512K + 2 MB, & MFM, Anyone ?

6. C99 initializers for sound/oss/emu10k1

7. What if...

8. Install Linux/X11 on 386 Notebook & P166 tower

9. linux & 386/486 upgrade processors

10. Vieux Compaq 386 & Linux

11. Compaq Deskpro 386/20 & Linux ?

12. WAS: Linux vs Unix; NOW: AT&T UNIX 386