ftpd broken, won't recognise users

Post by Nicholas McDowel » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 02:42:02

<newbie>
My ftpd seems to be broken.  I can't ftp TO my machine except if I log
in as anonymous (and needless to say I don't wanna do that).  I try
to log in as a user then give the correct password, it then tells
me that the login has failed.  It does this for every user, but it
does work for the anonymous login.  I'm guessing it's a problem with
the password file, but if you'll notice from my new and improved netscape
tag, I'm still kinda new to stuff.

I'm using FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1).  Any help or pointers to a
ftpd FAQ or how to would be greatly appreciated.

BTW this all started when I finally fixed my xdm, so I'm wondering what
will break when I fix this little snafu.

thanks.

--
Nicholas McDowell

http://www.cais.com/wwwedit/nick/

ftpd broken, won't recognise users

Post by S. Joel Ka » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 08:07:08

Quote:><newbie>
>My ftpd seems to be broken.  I can't ftp TO my machine except if I log
>in as anonymous (and needless to say I don't wanna do that).  I try
>to log in as a user then give the correct password, it then tells
>me that the login has failed.  It does this for every user, but it
>does work for the anonymous login.  I'm guessing it's a problem with
>the password file, but if you'll notice from my new and improved netscape
>tag, I'm still kinda new to stuff.
>I'm using FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1).  Any help or pointers to a
>ftpd FAQ or how to would be greatly appreciated.
>BTW this all started when I finally fixed my xdm, so I'm wondering what
>will break when I fix this little snafu.
>thanks.

        I'm working from memory, so no promises.

        Ftpd gets its user list from a file like /usr/home/ftp/etc/passwd.
If you make this a link to your main /etc/passwd file, ftpd will use the
same accounts as ftp. If you copy the passwd file over and delete a few
accounts, those won't have FTP access.

        Don't know how shadows passwords figure into this. Anyone else know?

--

S. Joel Katz            Information on Objectivism, Linux, 8031s, and more

        Time flies like an arrow -- fruit flies like a banana.

Post by Brian Weav » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 09:03:04

:       I'm working from memory, so no promises.

:       Ftpd gets its user list from a file like /usr/home/ftp/etc/passwd.
: If you make this a link to your main /etc/passwd file, ftpd will use the
: same accounts as ftp. If you copy the passwd file over and delete a few
: accounts, those won't have FTP access.

:       Don't know how shadows passwords figure into this. Anyone else know?

: --

I dont think this is correct. /home/ftp/etc/passwd is there so
commands like ls will show the correct owners on the files, ftpd
goes to /etc/passwd for it's authenication. It sounds to me like
the original poster may be using an ftpd compiled for shadow
passwords, or maybe needs one that is.

-- Brian

Brian Weaver                               wk. 303-491-0352
Systems Administrator                     fax. 303-491-1245
Veterinary Teaching Hospital

Post by jle.. » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 12:46:51

>My ftpd seems to be broken.  I can't ftp TO my machine except if I log
>in as anonymous (and needless to say I don't wanna do that).  I try
>to log in as a user then give the correct password, it then tells
>me that the login has failed.  It does this for every user, but it
>does work for the anonymous login.  I'm guessing it's a problem with
>the password file, but if you'll notice from my new and improved netscape
>tag, I'm still kinda new to stuff.
>I'm using FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1).  Any help or pointers to a
>ftpd FAQ or how to would be greatly appreciated.

I had what might be exactly the same problem.  Make sure the login shells used
by your users are listed in /etc/shells.  I use /bin/tcsh, which is not in
/etc/shells by default.  If your login shell is not in the /etc/shells list,
you cannot FTP into the system.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

1. why aren't 'esc' ~ 'break' recognized?

That's the expected behaviour of the ESCape key under UNIX terminal
applications.  Changing it would break many programs (anything using
emacs or vi editing keystrokes for a start).

Why do you think it should be "a break"?  And what do you mean by "a
break" anyway?

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

2. Block I/O question

3. wu-ftpd won't authenticate NIS users (/etc/shells is correct)

4. install from a partition.

5. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

6. Exabyte 230D DLT library

7. wu-ftpd won't compile - I'm screwed!

8. "Dot" Files

9. WU-FTPD DOESN'T RECOGNIZE FTPACCESS

10. Netscape won't recognize URL's

11. 2.4.2 broke gcd (or, audio CD's won't play)

12. Why won't ftpd use NIS+?!?

13. ftpd won't compile!