Print spooling does not work

Post by pet.. » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 22:16:03

I am running Linux patch level 12 from SLS and print spooling does not
work.  When I run lpc with the command "start lp" I get the message

"lpc: connect: no such file or directory
Couldn't start daemon"

I have created the spooling directory /usr/spool/lp0 and the filter
specified in /etc/printcap exists.

Does anyone have any idea what file it is that lpc cannot find?

Thanks

Post by Tommy Haywo » Wed, 05 Jan 1994 19:37:33

>I am running Linux patch level 12 from SLS and print spooling does not
>work.  When I run lpc with the command "start lp" I get the message
>"lpc: connect: no such file or directory
>Couldn't start daemon"
>I have created the spooling directory /usr/spool/lp0 and the filter
>specified in /etc/printcap exists.
>Does anyone have any idea what file it is that lpc cannot find?

the file lpd* (print daemon) not sure where it is though
(probably /usr/bin, /bin or /etc)
--
Welcome to my new mail box...........

2nd Year BCSE, Monash Uni/Clayton, Vic, Aus
Home: Wantirna Sth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

1. Print spool files filling /var/spool/printer

Solaris 2.6

I have started getting complaints from users that old documents are
being printer from one of our network printers.

Looking at the /var/print/spool directory I see that there are 100's of
spool files. The 10th file , date wise, is .printd.lock
doing a ps -ef also shows a printd process running
also there are about 20 lpr processes

I have no idea whats going on. Is it possible that this printd process
was interfeering with the spool directory ?
What does printd do ?

how can I investigate why spool files for this one particular printer
are filling up the spool directory ?

any suggestions would be appreciated and yes I am in RTFM mode.........

Thanks,
Mike.

2. ARP filtering

3. Problems with spooled print jobs, unspooled works okay

4. Problems with SMC Elite16 Network Card

5. Spooling but not printing

6. parallel printer port setup problems

7. Print not spooling

8. Any experience with AIX clusters?

9. lpr spooling not working! Help!

10. printing to (I'm sorry) NT print spool

11. Serial Printer, spooling does not work

12. Cannot Print to /var/spool/print??

13. printing from windows to a linux print spool