Formatting disks for linux/ bootable disks?

Formatting disks for linux/ bootable disks?

Post by Bill Wils » Fri, 20 May 1994 22:45:13

I am interested in making a bootable disk. I was told of the need for a
special utility ( I can't remember DOS or what) that formats disks according
to linux. Where can I find this program?

   Bill Wilson
   Technology Coordinator
   University of Nebraska

Post by Robert G. Smi » Sun, 22 May 1994 14:45:00

: I am interested in making a bootable disk. I was told of the need for a
: special utility ( I can't remember DOS or what) that formats disks
: according to linux. Where can I find this program?

If you could be more specific about what you are looking
for, this response could be more helpful...

To format a floppy under linux, run "man fdformat",
and to make a mountable file system, run "man mkfs".

To make a bootable floppy disk that boots your linux
kernel, read the "README" file in /usr/src/linux
on your hard drive.

To make a "standalone" bootable linux system complete
with kernel and file system and commands on a single
floppy, get the "cramdisk" distribution from

  sunsite.unc.edu:pub/Linux/kernel/misc-patches.

This package allows you to put a 3.5MB partition on a
floppy along with the kernel, the whole thing
compressed.  It requires 8MB ram to be useful.  It is
very nice for testing out linux on DOS machines without
modifying the DOS hard disk.

Rob Smith

1. Make a DOS bootable floppy-disk/image bootable from Linux?

Hi there-

A while ago I saw a program that would allow you to put DOS system
file onto a floppy-disk or a disk image from linux (and actually
have it be bootable).  Has anyone out here heard of that program?
I would like to make a 2.88MB DOS bootable image but I lack a 2.88MB
drive :)

Thanks for help.
--

Chris Selivanow
Lead Technician

716 624-7210 (Sales)
716 582-1600 (Support)
716 624-3465 (Fax)

2. Resolver library sources wanted

3. Creating a bootable Disk from a removable SCSI Disk

4. statistics for this mailinglist

5. Lilo on a Zip disk OR how to make a Zip disk bootable

6. Is the Gx86 compatible??

7. Q: disk copy to create bootable disk

8. REQ: Recommend a good server

9. How do I get my disk drive to read DOS formatted disks?

10. Post-Install Partition, Format and Mount of Unused Disk Space on 2nd Disk?

11. Formatting 3.5" HD disks as 1.7M disks.

12. Q : Only SCSI disks + Disk formatting + BIOS boot sector

13. New disk formatting: "No disks found!"