4-drive IDE controller

Post by David Chav » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 01:36:50

Hi all,

     Since I have a couple of spare IDE drives sitting around, I was considering
buying a 4-drive IDE controller.  I'd like to know if someone has had success
running Linux with this kind of configuration (accessing all 4 drives under Linux).  Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

                                            Dave Chavez

4-drive IDE controller

Post by mccs3.. » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 04:50:53

: Hi all,

:      Since I have a couple of spare IDE drives sitting around, I was considering
: buying a 4-drive IDE controller.  I'd like to know if someone has had success
: running Linux with this kind of configuration (accessing all 4 drives under Linux).  Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

I am also interested in a response to this. I have a TekRam 680c (supports 4
ide drives) and it works under dos just fine with my 3 drives:
C: 1.08 Micropolis
D: 540 maxtor
E: 540 Conner

But in Linux the card is detected and the first 2 drives are detected also
but not the third. I added /dev/hdc to fstab and created the /dev/hdcx
devices and even got a 4 ide patch and applied it to the kernel but still no
success at accessing /dev/hdc from linux.

Any suggestions?

4-drive IDE controller

Post by Andre Fach » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 20:47:49

[...]

If this card simulates two separate IDE-Controller, a primary and a
secondary one, try the ATdisk2 kernel patches.

Andre
--

For some it is MS-Windows, for others it's the longest batch file on earth...

1. Two-channel ide controllers + 3rd ide drive?

I'm going to be getting a 3rd ide drive in about a week, and I would like
to know if the dual-channel ide controllers are supported. (ie, those that
have two masters and two slaves.)  Also, if they are indeed supported, are
ALL of them supported, or just some?  The one I'm looking at getting is a cheap
no-name clone one.

Lastly, how do I make the /hdc devices?  I know how to use mknod, but I don't
konw how to determine the major and minor numbers of the 3rd drive.

(Please respond via email, as our news disk tends to overflow, and news posts
are only kept for a day.)

2. Reporting printer specific info via lpd/lpq

3. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

4. NetSQL can Host ODBC databases on Linux

5. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

6. dtterm text refresh problem X86

7. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

8. Password Protected Files

9. EIDE controller & Ultra IDE drives OK ???

10. speed hit with two drives on one ide controller ?

11. Multiple IDE Controllers/Drives

12. IDE drive on controller secondary port

13. Help Mounting 3rd IDE drive on a single KT410A EIDE controller