SCSI HD off PAS16 SCSI Port

Post by Dave Bay » Thu, 11 Aug 1994 17:45:20

        I am trying to temporary load Linux on a SCSI hd which I am running
off the SCSI port of my ProaudioSpecturm 16 (until I can afford a good VLB
controller). I have gone though the SCSI-HOWTO, but nothing is mentioned in
respect to problems during installion. Right, so here is a summary of the
problem:

        Linux begins to boot, then recognizes both the PAS16 and the drive.
Then it produces 4 Unkonow command errors before displaying the drive
information. It then procedes to go though checking the rest of the system (no
problems here). When it attempts to check the parition information, it hangs
on the SCSI drive (which is the first drive it checks).

        The drive is a Fujitsu M2624FA set on SCSI 0. The partition information
is readable from my OS/2 environment (although I have not checked it this is
true from the PAS16 as they request more money than I have to pay for their
SCSI HD device drivers (I had a firend bring over another controller to
partition the disc and read it from OS/2. Is this OK? or will the change in
drivers create a problem). Right, well, thanks for any help that is offered
dave

Dave Bayer

SCSI HD off PAS16 SCSI Port

Post by Lance Kinl » Sat, 20 Aug 1994 01:30:52

:       I am trying to temporary load Linux on a SCSI hd which I am running
: off the SCSI port of my ProaudioSpecturm 16 (until I can afford a good VLB
: controller). I have gone though the SCSI-HOWTO, but nothing is mentioned in
: respect to problems during installion. Right, so here is a summary of the
: problem:

:       Linux begins to boot, then recognizes both the PAS16 and the drive.
: Then it produces 4 Unkonow command errors before displaying the drive
: information. It then procedes to go though checking the rest of the system (no
: problems here). When it attempts to check the parition information, it hangs
: on the SCSI drive (which is the first drive it checks).

You have 2 options:  1) Recompile the kernel after editing the pas16.h file
(in the kernel sources).  You have to remove the #define PSEUDO_DMA
line.  The Pseudo DMA code is broken and causes the machine to lock up at
the partition check.  2) Get the lastest version of the sources for the
PAS (to be included in kernel verson 1.1.46 and up).  It is supposed to
fix the pseudo dma lockup problem.  Check the related post on
comp.os.linux.announce.  I don't have the sources yet, so I haven't tried
them yet.

1. PAS16 SCSI only works with interrupts off

I am running a Tandberg QIC tape off a ProAudioSpectrum 16 SCSI port
with a 1.1.73 kernel.  If I set the IRQ to 255 (disabled) in pas16.h,
everything works fine except for a sluggish machine during tape
access.  Configuring the driver for normal interrupts results in the
driver hanging when you access the tape drive.  Only a reboot will
clear it.  Has anyone been this route already?  Suggestions for where
to start looking greatly appreciated.

Microsoft BusMouse detected and installed.
snd3 <Pro AudioSpectrum 16 rev 0> at 0x388 irq 15 drq 3
snd1 <Yamaha OPL-3 FM> at 0x388 irq 0 drq 0
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 360K PC
FDC 0 is a 8272A
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 26.63 BogoMips
scsi0 : at 0x0388 irq 12 options CAN_QUEUE=32  CMD_PER_LUN=2 release=3 generic
options AUTOPROBE_IRQ AUTOSENSE PSEUDO DMA UNSAFE  generic release=6
scsi0 : Pro Audio Spectrum-16 SCSI
scsi : 1 hosts.
  Vendor: TANDBERG  Model:  TDC 360092X4180  Rev: I07:
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape total.
--

2. Sockets with Gnu iostream "stdlib"

3. SCSI-HD-Drivers for PAS16 ???

4. Limiting the size of a core file

5. Can PAS16 SCSI drive SCSI DAT tape?

6. Buy FreeBSD

7. NEC 510 (3Xi) SCSI CDROM w/ PAS16 SCSI card... question?

8. SB16-SCSI-2 and SCSI-HD? Can I boot linux off this SCSI-HD?

9. Got my 2940 working, but now problems booting off SCSI HD

10. Linux bootstrap off 2nd SCSI HD

11. SCSI + IDE HD, how to boot from SCSI?

12. adaptec 2940 UW + SCSI HD +linux 2.0.18 + ext SCSI ZIP drive ?