Mandrake 9.1 and SpeedTouch ADSL modem

Post by Dennis Freshwate » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:48:32

Hi all,

Brand new to Linux and already having problems...I have a SpeedTouch USB
ADSL modem provided by BT Internet as part of the Home 500 package and I
cannot get Mandrake 9.1 configured to use it properly - hence posting this
through Windows :-(.  Could some kind soul post (or email) a detailed
explanation of how to get it configured (with instructions simple enough for
a Linux newbie to follow!).

Cheers,

Dennis Freshwater
***Remove XYZ to reply***

Mandrake 9.1 and SpeedTouch ADSL modem

Post by NS> » Sat, 24 May 2003 08:13:14

I used to do support for Efficient networks' brands of DSL modems for a
year and a half as a mentor of the first level modem and router support
group.
    The USB version 4060 was a close clone to the Alcatel speed touch
home modem. The driver for the windows version has a high overhead as
far as system resources go.
    I know Efficient was not interested in making Linux drivers or any
OS other than a Microsoft OS driver. So you may need to switch to a nic
and an ethernet based DSL modem/router.
    A couple of things to consider is ...when you get a driver for Linux
you will need to setup the VPI/VCI manually and PPPoE software that is
usually proprietary to the service carrier. If you find a driver for
that modem (highly unlikely but good luck) Linux has built in PPPoE
software you can use to get connected.
   I'm not the end all know all of USB based DSL modems but when I would
get a call for linux support I was told to say "no support for Linux and
I know not where you can look for drivers or we'd say in a year or two".
  I never saw a Linux driver that worked... It may have for someone but
not that I have seen for USB anyway. It would be less trouble to find an
ethernet based modem and it wouldn't be a system hog... (IMHO)
Keep checking back as someone else may have newer info than I do though...

my2c,

Mandrake 9.1 and SpeedTouch ADSL modem

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.os.linux.]
On 2003-05-22,

Quote:

> Brand new to Linux and already having problems...I have a SpeedTouch USB
> ADSL modem provided by BT Internet as part of the Home 500 package and I
> cannot get Mandrake 9.1 configured to use it properly - hence posting this
> through Windows :-(.

I have a Speedtouch USB 330, which I think is the same as or similar to
the modem provided by the BTI Home 500 package.

I used the drivers from <URL:http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net>,
following the HOWTO on the site. I have no idea if Mandrake includes
these drivers as part of its distribution.

The only problem I had was with stability issues, caused by the Windows
microcode. Switching to the Macintosh microcode solved these issues. (If
you're not sure what I'm talking about, it should become clear in the
HOWTO).

--

"No bugs were harmed in the preparation of this patch.
 It's just me fartarsing around."

Mandrake 9.1 and SpeedTouch ADSL modem

Post by AWM » Sat, 24 May 2003 23:26:58

Quote:> Hi all,

> Brand new to Linux and already having problems...I have a SpeedTouch USB
> ADSL modem provided by BT Internet as part of the Home 500 package and I
> cannot get Mandrake 9.1 configured to use it properly - hence posting this
> through Windows :-(.  Could some kind soul post (or email) a detailed
> explanation of how to get it configured (with instructions simple enough
for
> a Linux newbie to follow!).

> Cheers,

> Dennis Freshwater
> ***Remove XYZ to reply***

these URLs should help

http://www.btofaq.net/   -- good general  BT ADSL  info   ---   and these
links
http://www.linuxfaq.btinternet.co.uk/index.html#ConnectingADSL   -- linux BT
ADSL info
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm    -   linux drivers for the Speed
Touch USB - green frog

Of course you could go the easy hassle free way and just buy a router

Post by Dennis Freshwate » Sun, 25 May 2003 03:13:49

> these URLs should help

> http://www.btofaq.net/   -- good general  BT ADSL  info   ---   and these
> links
> http://www.linuxfaq.btinternet.co.uk/index.html#ConnectingADSL   -- linux BT
> ADSL info
> http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm    -   linux drivers for the Speed
> Touch USB - green frog

> Of course you could go the easy hassle free way and just buy a router

Many thanks for all the suggestions - I'm now online with Linux. It
turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought, due to the built in
support from Mandrake - just didn't realise the mgmt.o file is actually
the same file as the windows microcode. Anyway, sorted now!

Cheers,

Dennis

1. usb adsl modem and mandrake 9.1 help???

Hi all :)

 I am a fairly new begginer to linux, having only installed it once or
twice before, and finaly settling with mandrake.

I just installed it tonight, and for the life of me I cant figure out
why my adsl modem conection isnt working.

Its pppoe with details as follows in winxp...

Device Name -  Zoom USB ADSL WAN Aapter
Device Type - isdn
Sever type - ppp
Transports - tcp/ip
Authetication - MD5 CHAP
Compression - None
ppp multilink framing - off

its got a bunch of other stuff in the control panel that came with the
modem, like.....

ppp over ATM VCMUX[RFC2364]

I get the power light for the modem on, but its simply not recognising
that there is a usb adsl modem at the port.....???

I would appreciate any help in setting it up , anything that anyone can
tell me about what to put in config files and were?

I can edit config files its just that I nead to no which ones to edit
and what to put in them.

The distro version is Mandrake 9.1

Cheers all
Hyperion out

2. OCR software, anywhere?

3. SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem and Mandrake 8.1 connected but not working

4. Can an HPIIIp print postscript files?

5. SOLUTION: got adsl-start, dsl working with Mandrake 9.1

6. Trident 9440 and XFree86 4.0.x

7. USB Prolink modem on Mandrake 9.1

8. shared memory - help understanding - shmall, shmmax, shmmni

9. Mandrake Control Center in Mandrake 9.1 not working

10. Pleeease Help: Speedtouch USB and Linux MDK 9.1

11. ALCATEL USB SpeedTouch ADSL modem & Linux RH 7.0?