Linux+XP+manage partitions

Post by niko » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:48:22

I want to convert and create some partitions and I'm wondering what
settings must be changed and where. I have NTFS, /boot and /root
partitions as primaru and swap as logical (I know it was a stupid
thing to do, but... ). I want to split NTFS to one smaller NTFS and
onother FAT32 so linux can read from it. My questions are: Is this
safe to do from PartitionMagic 8.0 under XP (it requires making at
least the /root partition logical) and what setting and where must I
change? Am I missing anything? I'm also new to Red Hat so I don't want
something to go wrong because I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it
latter.
Thanks for your help!

Linux+XP+manage partitions

Post by Barry For » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:34:42

My sense of WindowsXP is that is is very unfriendly to resizing
partitions.  If you want to do so, you should probably defragment your
XP partitions first, then run chkdsk /f to make sure you have no errors
(you have to reboot to do this).

Since I have never done this, I can't advise you further.  I don't know
if you have gone to the windowsxp.general newsgroup on
news.microsoft.com, but I think it would be a good idea.  There are some
very knowledgeable people there.

> I want to convert and create some partitions and I'm wondering what
> settings must be changed and where. I have NTFS, /boot and /root
> partitions as primaru and swap as logical (I know it was a stupid
> thing to do, but... ). I want to split NTFS to one smaller NTFS and
> onother FAT32 so linux can read from it. My questions are: Is this
> safe to do from PartitionMagic 8.0 under XP (it requires making at
> least the /root partition logical) and what setting and where must I
> change? Am I missing anything? I'm also new to Red Hat so I don't want
> something to go wrong because I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it
> latter.
> Thanks for your help!

1. reduce/manage SYSTEM_SAV partition to install Linux

hello, searching Googles for SYSTEM_SAV gives some info, but I could
not find a real answer

How can I safely install a dual boot system on my Compaq Presario
1600, which has a 4.5 GB C: partition and a 1.5 GB D: [System_Sav]
Partition?
I mean I need that winzozz remains ok, since the PC is a borrowed one,
and I must to be able to go back to the original 2 partition
situation. In fact I read that something in the SYSTEM_SAV partition
is vital (drivers?) for restoring the system in case something goes
wrong, or even for setting up Linux (??) correctly

Which of the solutions is safer (for future restore, since the PC is a
borrowed one ;-) )
1) to resize the C: partition, after removing much of the useless
stuff it contains (a lot of downloaded prgms, Office, ...)
2) to resize the D: partition or even delete/reformat it (see below)
3) a combination of 1 and 2.

MAYBE anyone knows the naming conventions or meaning of the hundreds
configuration files saved and backed-up on the D:[System_SAV] drive?
Is there a way to manage/compress/delete what is not useful anymore?
Can you give me a link about?

Note. I will use "Parted" to change my partitions and then I will
install RedHat 7.2 from CD

Is 2GB (boot+swap+home) enough for running RedHat 7.2 and have room
for trying interesting rpms? Could 1.5GB fit?

Thank you all gurus.

Lurix
remove "nospam" for my valid email address:

2. Linux 2.0.36 UDMA on MVP3?

3. Linux partition managing

4. QuickTime?

5. Help save my linux partitions from XP!!

6. tr.c lockup when accessing /proc/net/tr_rif under heavy load

7. Access Windows XP Partition from Linux

8. ASUS P55-TP4XE - Is anyone listening?!?

9. XP restore disk deletes my linux partition!

10. Any known problems with multiboot linux/xp and partition check boot step?

11. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

12. Dual setup OEM XP and Linux - backup XP HOWTO ?

13. partition and install linux on top of windows XP