Trouble making LILO bootdisk, and can't find shared lib stubs.

Trouble making LILO bootdisk, and can't find shared lib stubs.

Post by Bill Mitche » Sun, 13 Mar 1994 23:26:50

I have been spending a significant ammount of time on this during the
last several days, and I would really like some help.  I recently bought a
gateway P50 and the transameritech CDROM with Slackware 1.1.  I have
been able to boot with the bootimage from the CD, and I set up a root
filesystem on my harddisk, and then linux works  fine mostly.

I also have managed to compile the kernel reconfigured for my set ups
(at least the compile went through---I haven't been able to run it).
What I have NOT been able to do is to make a boot disk which will
work, either with lilo or using the command "cat \vmlinuz > /dev/fd0".
If I try to boot a disk on which I have tried "lilo" results in the
error code "L040404040...".  I have commented out compact in
lilo.conf, as suggested in the FAQ.  I've included /etc/lilo.conf
below in case that is the problem.

When I try the other method I have gotten the disk to load, but the
boot stalls near the end saying it can't read the hard disk.  This is
presumably since it is a nonstandard (to Linux) disk.  When I do boot
using the distribution boot disk I have to answer the prompt with the
incantation
        "harddisk hd=1048,16,63 root=/dev/hda3"
Incidentally I have the same problem with the disks made by the setup
program. Anybody have any suggestions?

Before I finish lilo.conf, I have one other question.  I tried to
compile dosemu from the CD.  In the makefile it asks for where the
location of the stubs for the shared library.  Evidentally non of the
answers I thought of were correct, because every time I compile it and
try to run it I get an error something to the effect that it can't
find the library.

    Hoping for help,

          Bill Mitchell

        and here is /etc/lilo.conf...
# $Id: lilo.conf,v 1.3 1994/03/11 14:05:47 mitchell Exp $
boot = /dev/fd0
install = /boot/boot.b
# disktab=/etc/lilo/disktab     # not supposed to be needed
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
                # I'm commenting this out after reading LILO_faq
                #  ... but it didn't help
#delay = 5      # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# normal linux boot
  root = /dev/hda3
  image = /vmlinuz
  label = linux
  append = "hd=1048,16,63"
# try MSDOS?
  other = /dev/hda1
  table = /dev/hda
  label = msdos

--

    Bill Mitchell
    Dept of Mathematics

1. Making bootdisks with lilo

For some reason or another I can't make boot disks with lilo anymore.
When I had kernel 1.1.12 and lilo 1.14(?), making boot disks was an easy
task.  However, when I went up to kernel 1.1.27, Linux won't mount the
root file system if it is a floppy... I tried booting of my hard disk
with
linux boot:  linux root=/dev/fd0
it would load the kernel and panic when it can not read the floppy
drive.  The drive can be mounted when my root fs is my hard disk without
any problems.  The kernel reports that there are "Floppy read error
0x51(? -- I don't remember the exact error message/number)" before if
finally panics and dies when trying to mount root floppies.  Anyone know
what's going on?
Thanks in advance
-bc

2. FreeS/WAN network-to-network VPN

3. problems making a lilo bootdisk

4. Direct CD

5. making lilo bootdisks

6. sudo for solaris

7. Need pointers on making LILO bootdisk

8. Debian Sparc X Server Problem. Please Help

9. HELP !! Trouble making bootdisk in LS120 drive

10. Making a Lilo bootdisk

11. Making a bootdisk with lilo

12. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

13. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there