Yggdrasil Fall '94 & SoundBlaster CDROM ?

Yggdrasil Fall '94 & SoundBlaster CDROM ?

Post by Erik D. McWillia » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 09:52:13

Right ...

I'm attempting to install Yggdrasil Fall '94 on my machine, configured below:

Everex 386/25 MHz
8 MB RAM
Maxtor 7546AT (1060/16/63) 540+ MB IDE HD
Standard VGA
SoundBlaster 16 (port=0x220, irq=5)
Creative 563 CDROM (by Matsushita, ISO-9660, jumpered as CD unit #0)

When I boot from floppy (I've tried all the different boot Revs) the instal-
lation proceeds to the point where it tries to start extracting goodies from CD,
at which point it generates IO errors like:

'Matsushita CD-ROM controller #1 I/O error
 dev 1900, sector 1155142'

It spits these out for a while (for various sectors) and then either hangs
or generates a kernel panic.  Earlier in the boot sequence it looks to have
found all my devices, and there is periodic activity on the CDROM's busy light
during this process.

I've tried to follow the literature (Plug and Play Installation Guide and
Errata, plus various FAQs on the net) and it sure looks like Yggdrasil claims
to support SoundBlaster16 based CDROMs.

I resorted to the Yggdrasil hotline earlier and followed their suggestion
to try 'linux sbpcd=0x230,5' at the LILO prompt.  They also suggested that
the CDROM should be jumpered at unit #1 instead of unit #0.  Neither of these
(together or separately) worked.

One puzzling thing here is that the SoundBlaster16 is only addressable as
one of (0x220,0x240,0x260,0x280) but I think Linux insists on it being at
(0x230,0x250,0x270,0x290).  I have tried 'linux sbpcd=0x220,5' explicitly
at the LILO prompt, but Linux always polls the device and finds the card
and CDROM at 0x230 anyway (???).  BTW, both the card and drive run fine
at 0x220 (default recommended in SB16 manual) from DOS.

Since it seems that this hardware should be fairly common, does anyone have
suggestions or work arounds here?  This isn't something that would be
remedied if I were installing linux from an existing DOS hd partition is it?
Should I s*the SoundBlaster controller idea and buy a Panasonic or Mitsumi
controller instead?

Newbie Thanks,
-Steve McWilliams
--
                              The CRT Corporation
                      Computer Based Research and Training

Yggdrasil Fall '94 & SoundBlaster CDROM ?

Post by Daniel Quinl » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 11:32:19

Quote:> I'm attempting to install Yggdrasil Fall '94 on my machine, configured below:
> [...]
> SoundBlaster 16 (port=0x220, irq=5)
> Creative 563 CDROM (by Matsushita, ISO-9660, jumpered as CD unit #0)
> [...] the installation proceeds to the point where it tries to start
> extracting goodies from CD, at which point it generates IO errors
> like:

> 'Matsushita CD-ROM controller #1 I/O error
>  dev 1900, sector 1155142'
> I've tried to follow the literature (Plug and Play Installation
> Guide and Errata, plus various FAQs on the net) and it sure looks
> like Yggdrasil claims to support SoundBlaster16 based CDROMs.

SB16 based Panasonic/Matshushita/Kotobuki CD-ROMs are support as well
as SB16 Sony drives (although CDU-31A drives seem to be inherently
flaky).  Drivers for SB16 SCSI CD-ROMs are included, but experimental.

Quote:> I resorted to the Yggdrasil hotline earlier and followed their
> suggestion to try 'linux sbpcd=0x230,5' at the LILO prompt.

That only applies if the CD controller is at IO port 0x230 and the CD
controller is using IRQ 5.  0x230 is the SB 16 default setting.

Can you find out what IO port the CD-ROM (not the sound card) is
using?  I am certain that 0x220 is only for the SB and not the onboard
CD controller and I recall informing you of this over the phone,
actually.

You can also try: sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster

However, since Linux finds your drive at 0x230, I am fairly certain
that is exactly where it is.  It could be possible that you have a
damaged CD or a faulty CD-ROM reader.  (In fact, that is what I/O
errors often, but not always, indicate.)

Dan

--

1. Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!

I have a machine with a Diamond Stealth 24VLB and I have the
Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94 CD-ROM.  I would really like to
be able to run an X server on this machine without dragging out
my old ATI VGA Wonder and slapping it in there.

Some of the postings in this newsgroup give me the impression
that there is some hope for me.  Does anybody out there have
this sort of configuration running X?

If it is possible to use some sort of standard VGA or super VGA
driver, let me know, because my eyes would explode if I tried
to do 1280X960 on my monitor anyway ...

The manual (such as it is) that comes with Plug & Play Linux
gives me the immpression that if you have any Diamond card,
there is no hope at all for you ... As in, no video modes
supported at all ... This would be mighty stupid of somebody,
so I am not inclined to believe it.

Jared
--

2. Thread problem on Solaris 7

3. Yggdrasil Fall 94 & "Controller" errors w/SB Pro w/CDROM

4. Can't access CD

5. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

6. WWW: How I got REVEAL SC400 sound card to work with Linux

7. Yggdrasil Summer 94 to Fall 94 upgrade -- HOW TO???

8. How to tell a v8 processor from a v7 processor.

9. Help: Yggdrasil Fall '94 doesn't find my Adaptec AHA2842 SCSI card

10. HELP: Yggdrasil fall '94 won't compile kernel.

11. CDROM & MSCDEX support in Ygg FALL '94