How much memory do I need to recompile the kernel?

How much memory do I need to recompile the kernel?

Post by David Smi » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 17:51:56

How much RAM do I need to recompile the Linux kernel (Slackware 0.99pl15)?  I
only have 4Mb of physical RAM (No, I can't afford to upgrade.  :-(  ), but I do
have 20Mb of swap, and when I try to recompile the kernel, I get the message:

cpp: memory exhausted

All I need to do is to recompile it so I can get TCPIP working.

Please reply via email as news is rather dodgy around here.

Thanks in advance.

David Smith

How much memory do I need to recompile the kernel?

Post by David Smi » Thu, 16 Jun 1994 16:55:29

Thanks for all of you who responded to my post.  I will try to reply to you all
individually, but as the replies were so numerous, I don't know how long it'll
take me.  :-)

In fact, I have sorted the problem out now.  I didn't have the swap partition
named in my fstab, so I was running solely in the 4Mb on the machine.  To think
it worked, as well.  :-)  In fact, I even got an X server up and running in 4Mb.
:-)

So, please stop before you kill my mail server!

Thanks for your help.

David Smith