slip & ethernet

Post by Stephen Parkins » Tue, 05 Jul 1994 03:33:08

Systems
1 486sx25 running Linux 1.09 with NE2000 and 14400 Modem on sl0

2 486dx50 running Linux 1.09 with NE2000

When configured as 'address's' 111.112.113.114 &
111.112.113.115, and using the netmasks,broadcast address
suggested in the netconfig scripts, I get 260-300kb/s
depending on direction using ftp between the machines
dx50 has an adaptec 1542c, sx25 is future domain 950

Question - what do i need to do to set up one of the machines
as 158.152.17.122 and the other as an ethernet local connection

I have had the sx25 on the net, for ftp and mail

What I cannot figure is the address for the local connection,
I think it should be logically be 158.152.17.???, but
that is in my slip providers domain :(

Can I just say in the hosts,hosts.allow,hosts.equiv files

sx25
158.152.17.122 zmemw16.demon.co.uk zmemw16
domain is demon.co.uk
192.191.0.1 frances.zmemw16 frances

dx50
192.191.0.1 frances.zmemw16 frances
domain is zmemw16

Any thoughts, recommendations, pointers to good books
would be gratefully received.

Stephen Parkinson
Stephen Parkinson

1. Trouble w/SLIP && Ethernet

I can't seem to connect to my friend's computer after he has SLIPed into
our school.  It works fine until he is connected.  I know the problem has
to do with two things, either the nameserver (because if I make that
invalid I can login) or the default routing.

Here's my setup -- there are two Linux machines in my apartment,
connected via an Ethernet coax network.  My computer is a standalone,
while my roommate's has a 14.4 on it.  When I setup the network, I gave
us random IP addresses (prob. not a good idea) and everything works fine.
Then, when he SLIPs to the school I cannot login.

Now, I can temporarily fix this problem by making the nameserver on his
machine invalid (it usually specifies the nameserver at the school).
Now, this indicates to me that there is just some stupid routing problem,
and when the nameserver is present it says that my IP address is invalid
(it is).  What I want is for my roomates machine to see the ip address of
our net and send those packets out on the net first, not try to send it
out to the SLIP connection first.

Conversely, I don't want to set the default setting in the route table
from the SLIP connection because that would require explicitly routing
all the possible connections I might want to make, and that would be a pain.

--

2. Installing linux from tape PLEASE!!!

3. Ethernet & SLIP concurrently??

4. Help with CDROM (take 2)

5. Networking with Ethernet & SLIP

6. Post script printing

7. SLIP, ethernet, & IP forwarding

8. Adding PCMCIA support

9. RedHat 4.0 & SCSI & Ethernet & 32 Bit FAT problems

12. 没有人用中文吗?

13. SLIP / PPP && Compression