Two steps forward: two steps back.

Post by Stephen Davie » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 04:29:25

Thanks to network feedback, I have fixed my LILO and ext2fs problems.
(Basically a problem with incompatible utility vs kernel codes fixed
by upgrading lilo, e2fsck and mount/umount).

I now have two new hassles. The first seems minor in that I ignore
it and nothing dramatic happens. At boot time I get:
"Partition check:
  hda: multiple mode not supported
  hda: hda1 hda2
 cannot open /etc/boot.env"

hda has two partitions: the first is the Linux root partition and the
second is my swap partition. What is multi-mode?

/etc/boot.env exists as:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root
and contains:
HOME=/
TERM=console

The second has only become visible since I installed a second Linux
box on my local network. As soon as I try to FTP files between the two
Linux boxes in binary mode, I get :

"eth0: bogus packet size: 1534, status=0X1 nxpg=0x??" where ?? varies
from line to line.

Immediately after entering a get or put command in binary mode, the
console at the receiving end of the transfer displays a whole heap of
these messages. After I abort the transfer, the message
stream slows to about one per minute but goes on "for ever".
I updated my ftp version recently to overcome the anonymous password
problem but have lost track of just which version I used to achieve
this. My ftpd is fairly old as I have been unable to successfully
compile the WU version.

I can successfully FTP to other sites such as sunsite etc and I can
also successfully FTP in to my Linux boxes from other non-Linux boxes.

Thanks in anticipation that I will soon be back to normal.

Steve.

Adelaide, South Australia.                           Voice: 61-8-2728863
Computing & Network solutions.                       Fax  : 61-8-2741015

1. one step forward, two steps back

I had to place the kernel on a non root fs for my raid set which would
include root.

I edited /etc/rc to have kvm_mkdb /boot/bsd

but now I am getting savecore errors

savecore: /bsd: kvm_openfiles: /bsd: No such file or directory

I have tried doing savecore -c /boot/bsd and savecore -f /boot/bsd and that
didnt work either?

any ideas?

2. com & org and many DNS Questions

3. one step forward, two steps back..

4. gvim GUI_GTK how do i set the background?

5. NT:One Step Forward,Two Steps Back

6. A second NIC on the server

7. 1 step forward, 5 steps back - newbie HD problems - please help!

8. How configure Svgalib?

9. Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

10. Installation step by step for dumbys :)

11. Securing Solaris (HELP ME)Step by Step?????????

12. Step by Step Documentation??

13. Step-by-step instructions to set up 2 computer home network?