cannot deliver web pages

Post by suprti.. » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:58:01

I had to restart my suse server today and now it will no longer
deliver web pages.  I have to shut this computer down before and have
never had this happen.  I can ping and telnet to the machine but it
has stopped delivering web pages.
I am stumped as to why this has happened.
The version of apache that I am running:
Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix)  (SuSE/Linux)
Server built:   Jan 19 2001 14:00:47
The system is suse linux 8.
Can anyone tell me how to get apache running again without starting
over.  There is one important and large web site being hosted on this
machine.

cannot deliver web pages

Post by Whoeve » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:02:46

Quote:> I had to restart my suse server today and now it will no longer
> deliver web pages.  I have to shut this computer down before and have
> never had this happen.  I can ping and telnet to the machine but it
> has stopped delivering web pages.
> I am stumped as to why this has happened.
> The version of apache that I am running:
> Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix)  (SuSE/Linux)
> Server built:   Jan 19 2001 14:00:47
> The system is suse linux 8.
> Can anyone tell me how to get apache running again without starting
> over.  There is one important and large web site being hosted on this
> machine.

Before you get the server running again, you need to install the
security patches.

There is an updated version of Apache Web server available -- and if you
have not installed this, then there are probably many other
security-related patches that you need to install.

You may feel that your first priority is to get the web site working, but
you should think of the consequences if someone defaced your web site!

cannot deliver web pages

Post by Joe » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:56:02

> I had to restart my suse server today and now it will no longer
> deliver web pages.  I have to shut this computer down before and have
> never had this happen.  I can ping and telnet to the machine but it
> has stopped delivering web pages.
> I am stumped as to why this has happened.
> The version of apache that I am running:
> Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix)  (SuSE/Linux)
> Server built:   Jan 19 2001 14:00:47
> The system is suse linux 8.
> Can anyone tell me how to get apache running again without starting
> over.  There is one important and large web site being hosted on this
> machine.

Does Apache run at boot or does it have to be manually loaded?  Also, does
Apache start with the default installation page or does it not start at
all?

1. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

I am in the process of converting all of my stuff into formats not dependent
upon MicroShaft shaftware so that I can ditch Windoze altogether and go
entirely to Linux and/or *BSD.  Mostly, it is just time-consuming, but I have
run into one sticky problem.

I saved a large MicroShaft PowerPunt document as a "web page" (from within
PowerPunt 2000), and found that (as I was afraid of) the web page is only
viewable on MicroShaft Internet Exploder 5.5 disService Pack 2 (maybe all 5.x
and 6.x -- didn't try them).  When I tried to view it under NetScape 4.7x or
kfm 1.x for Linux with KDE 1.x, I could not view the web page (except for the
very 1st slide in 1 case).  And yes, I did enable JavaScrapped in NetScrape,
although in one case this simply enabled the PowerPunt "web page" to cause
NetScrape to crash with a bus error.  And yes, when given the opportunity, I
did click on the link to bypass the MicroShaft error message that says that
earlier versions of Internet Exploder are not supported, and doesn't even
acknowledge the existence of any other web browsers (of course -- in a few
years, they'll be claiming that they invented the web browser).  (And yes, I
know that MicroShaft commands that you must have an Office 2000 license and
MicroShaft Internet Exploder 5.0 or later to view their "web pages", but
they can go HERE --> http://freespace.virgin.net/andrew.harrison4/.)

So, does any utility exist to convert one of these monstrosities into a real
web page?  Here are the possibilities I can think of (feel free to suggest
others, except don't suggest keeping Windoze and Internet Exploder around):

1.      A utility that does this automatically or almost automatically
        (preferred)
2.      Hack the files manually (way too much work unless someone knows
        a clever trick -- for instance a sed script to run the files
        through to remove the curse of MicroShaft)
3.      Try to find something that can read the original PowerPunt 2000
        document and convert it properly into a format that can then be
        exported as a real web page (a possibility, but not preferred
        because it requires installing a major software package for just
        this one conversion)
4.      Upgrade from kfm to Konqueror 2.x (I don't know if this would
        work, and even if it did, this is still not a full solution,
        because it would leave the web pages not viewable by NetScrape
        users)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

2. Too Early..(Another stupid linux mistake)

3. Cannot load web pages or retrieve mail

4. ChildCare management Software

5. cannot view web page from local lan

6. Re. RS 6000 with channel adapter direct to 390

7. Web Pages cannot be seen from Outside

8. Can't ssh login w/ password from linux

9. Cannot access Linux Web Page or ping linux server from different subnet.

10. Cannot view web page on local lan

11. SLIP users cannot access my web pages..

12. Mail delivered by sender gets "failure to deliver"

13. Paging Software for Web Paging & Monitoring