Term and Mosaic/ncftp hold-ups

Post by John J. Lehe » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 07:59:30

        I am having a variety of small problems with term.  One problem
has been with me since term 114 and Mosaic+term 2.2 I think it was.  I
now use term1.1.8 and Mosaic+term 2.4..   This problem is that if a site
is unreachable or similiar (ie getting back a document cannot be access
error), during the 10-20 second wait until Mosaic times out the attempt
ALL term connections are hung and useless during this time... clicking
the world (which is not spinning during the attempt to initially connect)
does nothing (the pointer is a watch still at this point).  I thought
this may be normal, but was told it is abnormal.  Anyone have any clues
as to what might cause this?
        Second problem is during ncftp1.70+term transfers (even to and
from the host machine where I term to) there will be gaps and pauses of a
second or two with no modem activity at all, again during which time
other term trsh's or the like are 'hung' and thus dropping my overall
throughput by about 50-60% becuase of these 'pauses'.
        Both sides using term1.1.18... v32.bis modems on both ends, term
compression turned off.  Tlog files are always empty so no errors seem in
it.  I would assume the connection is clean as transferred files and all
are always correct, they just simply pause for a second or two every few
seocnds during the download... quite annoying.
        If anyone has any thoughts or help on this, please let me know.
        Thanks in advance.
        J.J. Lehett

--
John J. Lehett