PPP

Post by Mr.Whit » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm having some trouble setting up my PPP in linux. I'm running Slakware
3.4.  Problem is..the script doesn't seem to find my modem, but minicom will
find it..heh but I don't really know the commands for minicom cuz I just got
linux a couple days ago. i went through the pppsetup and got that all right,
and when I type in ppp-go it says +ACI-Connect Script Error+ACI-, this is after it
goes through when it should stop on what errors, such as busy, etc., it
displays the init string..but the modem doesn't make a sound..let alone dial
anything. If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated..Thanx,

Jeff
jnewland+AEA-earthlink.net

PPP

Post by pfrede » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm having some trouble setting up my PPP in linux. I'm running Slakware
> 3.4.

This one had me swinging for a few days, until I realized that a lot of stuff going
onwas shell script files!
Try to edit ppp-on and read it and determine the next script it calls, then check it
out too.
Say hi to George and Gracie for me. hehehehe (you'll know what that means when you
get there)
Make sure that everything jives, with your setup. My silly system kept calling
555-1212 because it was the placeholder in the script! It was driving me nutz!
I kept editing the configuration files that pppsetup made for me, and that didn't sem

to make a difference. I thought it was my modem init string, I had an ampersand in
there
and thought that maybe I wasn't escaping it correctly. But that wasn't it at all.
Now if I can only get my other system, with Caldera loaded into it to be a bit more
responsive.
And it says right on it "EXTEND your system to the WORLD" Yeah right!
Slackware rulz!
Oh boy, you really DO want help don't you?
Look at all of the cross postings this is gonna make, OK, this time....
But you make me feel like such a SPAMmer!

Posted from Slackware 3.4

PPP

Post by hori » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm having some trouble setting up my PPP in linux. I'm running Slakware
> 3.4.  Problem is..the script doesn't seem to find my modem, but minicom will
> find it..heh but I don't really know the commands for minicom cuz I just got
> linux a couple days ago. i went through the pppsetup and got that all right,
> and when I type in ppp-go it says +ACI-Connect Script Error+ACI-, this is after it
> goes through when it should stop on what errors, such as busy, etc., it
> displays the init string..but the modem doesn't make a sound..let alone dial
> anything. If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated..Thanx,

> Jeff
> jnewland+AEA-earthlink.net

   I'd suggest reading the PPP-HOWTO and the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO in /usr/doc/faq/howto.

--

"Night brings bad dreams/Bad dreams and guillotines."
  -- "Beheaded", The Offspring

PPP

Post by Roy Schelker » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm having some trouble setting up my PPP in linux. I'm running Slakware
> 3.4.  Problem is..the script doesn't seem to find my modem, but minicom will
> find it..heh but I don't really know the commands for minicom cuz I just got

Hi!

I'm fairly new to this too, installed Slackware 3.3 a few weeks ago. As
a matter of fact, at the time of this writing, I succeeded in connecting
to my ISP for the first time using Linux!  *GRIN*

To tell you the truth, I don't know too much about the subject of
PPP-connections at this moment, but I did learn some things that you
seem to be struggling with also.

First, you should look at the symbolic link in /dev and see if
/dev/modem points to /dev/cuax or /dev/ttySx (where x is the
port-number). I had a similar problem because Minicom looked at
/dev/ttyS1 and my /dev/modem was linked to /dev/cua1... My PPP-script
looked at the wrong place... at I restored the sym.link and it worked!

Also, check if you have no lockfile in /var/lock, I had one of those in
there (LCK..CUA1) and it didn't work a bit... ;-(

I hope I may have been of some help to you.

regards,

Roy

1. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

I made a trick .. instead of using chat to connect PPP like was in the
books
(that for me doesn't work) I used dip (it's the one that is supposed to be
used with SLIP connections) .. I make a script for dip so it connects using
PPP, and everything goes fine till I connect... After I connect the host
where i'm connected is Okay and everything seems to be Okay. but when I do
I simple ping to my own IP (not localhost but my assigned fixed IP) it says
unable to reach host.. I think the hardest thing to setup in linux is PPP
:( .. geee...

I have the Slackware 3.0 stuff... and I feel like i'm a newbie.. :(

Is out there any better FAQs or How-TOs for the PPP connections ???

bye !

--
 _    ____ ____          _____________________________
| |  |    |  __|         Luis Aranguren Carvajal
| |  | || | |            http://www.ven.net/~pizzaman

|____|_||_|____|         _____________________________

2. Diskless Linux on a PC

3. PPP - sh: /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer: Permission denied HELP!

4. 3c595 as a module == problems

5. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

6. Adding a user

7. ppp-on/ppp-on-dialer/ppp-off???

8. xv and tin errors on solaris 2.3

9. Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

10. Help: How to get PPP to read /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

11. PPP-ON / PPP-OFF advanced config with multidrop mailbox

12. PPP ping problem; PPP local address?

13. ppp-user - Users can handle PPP easily