nn nntp PLEASE HELP

Post by Michael Ki » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 19:40:31

I have a problem with nn.
I only have the binaries for nn.
I'm running linux .99.15 slackware.
I do have cc .
I can read news via nntp with "tin -r". but I dont like tin and I'd
rather use nn.
I can read and post with tin -rEMOTE.
I am running CSLIP.
FTP telnet ping all work great.
I do have /usr/lib/nntp-server < "nntp-server name."
What am I doing wrong.
I didnt compile the code, I only installed the binaries
PLEASE HELP........

nn nntp PLEASE HELP

Post by Supanee Faarungsa » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 21:48:46

>I have a problem with nn.
>I only have the binaries for nn.
>I'm running linux .99.15 slackware.
>I do have cc .
>I can read news via nntp with "tin -r". but I dont like tin and I'd
>rather use nn.
>I can read and post with tin -rEMOTE.
>I am running CSLIP.
>FTP telnet ping all work great.
>I do have /usr/lib/nntp-server < "nntp-server name."
>What am I doing wrong.
>I didnt compile the code, I only installed the binaries
>PLEASE HELP........

the binary nn  not work.
you have to compile the source nn   and modify the config.h
don't forget to get newspak2.1 from linux  for file linux.h
goodluck
supat

nn nntp PLEASE HELP

Post by Shane Carro » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 22:12:11

>I have a problem with nn.
>I only have the binaries for nn.
>I'm running linux .99.15 slackware.
>I do have cc .
>I can read news via nntp with "tin -r". but I dont like tin and I'd
>rather use nn.
>I can read and post with tin -rEMOTE.
>I am running CSLIP.
>FTP telnet ping all work great.
>I do have /usr/lib/nntp-server < "nntp-server name."
>What am I doing wrong.
>I didnt compile the code, I only installed the binaries
>PLEASE HELP........

The problem is that the binaries that come with the linux source are compiled
to run only on a local database.  I downloaded (well, ftped really) a copy
of the nn code from Linus's directory on funic.funet.fi.  It is pretty
well already set up... all you have to do is go into the config.h and
uncomment the stuff regarding NNTP (and other things related to your system).

Be aware that NN creates a local database of all article stored on your
news server (well, this can be configured too) with names and subjects of
articles, which is why it runs so fast.  My local database stays between
25-35 megs, and I have not even tried to run NN on the alt stuff.

I also have a 10baseT connection, unlike your CSLIP connection.  NN tends
to use a lot of bandwidth to keep its database up to date.

Hope this helps some...
Shane Carroll

--
Shane Carroll (President of Proposed Student Ethernet Committee :)
Administrator - ulca60.residence.gatech.edu

1. NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

NN is the fastest most efficient way to get information from newsnet,
IMHO.
I've missed it since my company stopped building its NNTP database. :(

Well, now I'm running LINUX on my machine at home and I was wondering
if NN has changed or if any new command-line news readers with a
similar interface to NN can be accessed via a simple server name
via PPP like most of the other newsreaders(gui) like netscape,
freeagent on win95.

I've looked through the NN man page and it looks the same as it
ever did.
Any other NN lovers out there stuck without an NNTP server can
send me in the right direction?

Please e-mail directly.

Dave McMahon

2. problem with Xwindows and graphics

3. Can't get nn-nntp working. Help.

4. How do I prevent accounts from logging in simulataneously at the same time?

5. Help! Slakware 3.0, nn-nntp?

6. Sequential TCP Port Allocation Check?

7. NNTP, pared GROUPS file, and help getting nn started

8. Where are functions err_sys and sys_err_str?

9. NN (nntp) under Linux

10. setting up nn w/ NNTP

11. nn-newsreader-setup with NNTP (Slackware 1.03)

12. Posting with nn-6.4.18 via nntp

13. nn 6.5 NNTP+NOV client only config for Linux ???