Help with LILO and Linux 1.0

Post by David Rapch » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 13:56:55

Hello,

How come when I make a scsi boot disk under the slackware install then install
LILO on it and reboot it freezes with LI.  If done nothing tricky, just following the on screen prompts.  thanx.

Help with LILO and Linux 1.0

Post by Tibor Polg » Sun, 03 Apr 1994 07:34:17

that makes two of us.  i just followed the slackware distribution script.  Now
for me the strange thing is that i have a working p99.13 version on /dev/sda4.
I tried to install 1.0 on /dev/sdb2 (first primary partition, extended partition
is at /dev/sdb1).  That is were i got the LI (hang).  I tried reinstalling the
p99.13 LGX release on sdb2 and IT also hung at LI.

Since i had a boot floppy, got up the 1.0 system and copied it to /dev/sda4 (old
working copy).  Made a new boot floppy and booted it.  ran lilo for sda4 and
VOILA everything is fine.  SO my big question, why doesn't LILO like sdb2??? the
exact same procedure worked fine on sda4.

BTW, i'm using the OS/2 boot manager so i install to root and not the MBR.

Thanks

Tibor
--
Tibor Polgar

-- all disclaimers apply  --

Help with LILO and Linux 1.0

Post by Yanming PE » Sun, 03 Apr 1994 22:20:40

>that makes two of us.  i just followed the slackware distribution script.  Now
>for me the strange thing is that i have a working p99.13 version on /dev/sda4.
>I tried to install 1.0 on /dev/sdb2 (first primary partition, extended partition
>is at /dev/sdb1).  That is were i got the LI (hang).  I tried reinstalling the
>p99.13 LGX release on sdb2 and IT also hung at LI.

It is obvious that /dev/sdb is your 3rd HD and it is not  directed
accessable via BIOS (only 1st and 2nd HD is BIOS accessable). So, you
HAVE to put zImage, LILO's *.b and map file on 1st or 2nd HD (or floppy).
You can create a small partition on 1st or 2nd HD (1MB is enough) for this
purpose. Modify lilo config file, reinstall the map file. That is all.

Quote:>Since i had a boot floppy, got up the 1.0 system and copied it to /dev/sda4 (old
>working copy).  Made a new boot floppy and booted it.  ran lilo for sda4 and
>VOILA everything is fine.  SO my big question, why doesn't LILO like sdb2??? the
>exact same procedure worked fine on sda4.

BIOS DOES NOT see your third HD. That is the difference. LILO uses BIOS only.

Quote:>BTW, i'm using the OS/2 boot manager so i install to root and not the MBR.

That does not matter.

--
Yanming PENG

Help with LILO and Linux 1.0

Post by Herbert » Mon, 04 Apr 1994 12:02:38

: that makes two of us.  i just followed the slackware distribution script.  Now
: for me the strange thing is that i have a working p99.13 version on /dev/sda4.
: I tried to install 1.0 on /dev/sdb2 (first primary partition, extended partition
: is at /dev/sdb1).  That is were i got the LI (hang).  I tried reinstalling the
: p99.13 LGX release on sdb2 and IT also hung at LI.

: Since i had a boot floppy, got up the 1.0 system and copied it to /dev/sda4 (old
: working copy).  Made a new boot floppy and booted it.  ran lilo for sda4 and
: VOILA everything is fine.  SO my big question, why doesn't LILO like sdb2??? the
: exact same procedure worked fine on sda4.

LILO doesn't like it because it is the slave of sda :-)
--
A.  B <=> True
B.  A <=> False

1. Problem with LILO 1.4 & Linux 1.0

Hi folks,

recently I upgraded from an _old_ version of LILO (can't remeber exactly
which one) to version 14.
Then I noticed, that the new LILO doesn't pass the arguments for the kernel
in the zeropage as it did in my old version, but instead it writes the
arguments to the kernel's 'command-line'. This doesn't matter for arguments
like 'ro' (read-only), but my kernel-version (1.0) doesn't seem to parse
arguments like 'ramdisk=xxx'. Instead of parsing them, the kernel writes
those args containing a '=' into the environment for init, and even
worse, it uses those arguments without a '=' as arguments for init, which
gets a bit confused.

So I'd like to know if I can switch LILO back to the old behaviour, or if
there are patches for the kernel to enable correct commandline-parsing.

Thanks,
Martin

2. Computer Telephony

3. linux 1.0 and lilo

4. bulk mail delete with `mail`

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Unix network drivers

7. Q: diff btwn "LILO: linux single" and "LILO: linux 1" ?

8. DNS Problem?

9. Upgrading suse 5.2 with kde 1.0 to kde 1.0

10. Slackware Linux 1.0 and hardware-problems. Please help!

11. help linux 1.0 nn and speaker not work

12. HTTP/1.0" 304 0 HTTP/1.0 304 Not

13. KDE 1.0 + FreeType 1.0