Suse 8.0 Pro Boot problem

Post by luc » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:38:07

I installed 8.0 on my PC with no problem. However, when I reboot
without the CD in the CD drive, it hung with 'LIL' on the screen. I
think it has something to do with my HD. My PC is a Pentinum 3, with
60 gig HD. I setup it with dual boot Win 98/Suse 8.0 before without
any problem. Now I just want a Linux machine, so I re-installed Suse
8.0, but I could not get it to boot without the CD. Please help.

Lucy

Suse 8.0 Pro Boot problem

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:09:15

> I installed 8.0 on my PC with no problem. However, when I reboot
> without the CD in the CD drive, it hung with 'LIL' on the screen. I
> think it has something to do with my HD. My PC is a Pentinum 3, with
> 60 gig HD. I setup it with dual boot Win 98/Suse 8.0 before without
> any problem. Now I just want a Linux machine, so I re-installed Suse
> 8.0, but I could not get it to boot without the CD. Please help.

... this is a geometry mismatch issue. where exactly is the
/boot partition? after cylinder 1023? if you can boot into the
system with CD#1, give us this:
# fdisk -l /dev/hd*
# cat /etc/lilo.conf

Suse 8.0 Pro Boot problem

Post by Jay Nabonn » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:17:22

Quote:> I installed 8.0 on my PC with no problem. However, when I reboot
> without the CD in the CD drive, it hung with 'LIL' on the screen. I
> think it has something to do with my HD. My PC is a Pentinum 3, with
> 60 gig HD. I setup it with dual boot Win 98/Suse 8.0 before without
> any problem. Now I just want a Linux machine, so I re-installed Suse
> 8.0, but I could not get it to boot without the CD. Please help.

I had that problem once. What fixed it was running "fdisk /mbr" using the
*Windows* fdisk (the one you get on a Win 98 boot disk, for instance). This
rewrote the master boot record on the hard drive (which a Windows
installation had done proprietary things to).

Jay

Suse 8.0 Pro Boot problem

Post by luc » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:48:37

> > I installed 8.0 on my PC with no problem. However, when I reboot
> > without the CD in the CD drive, it hung with 'LIL' on the screen. I
> > think it has something to do with my HD. My PC is a Pentinum 3, with
> > 60 gig HD. I setup it with dual boot Win 98/Suse 8.0 before without
> > any problem. Now I just want a Linux machine, so I re-installed Suse
> > 8.0, but I could not get it to boot without the CD. Please help.

> ... this is a geometry mismatch issue. where exactly is the
> /boot partition? after cylinder 1023? if you can boot into the
> system with CD#1, give us this:
> # fdisk -l /dev/hd*
> # cat /etc/lilo.conf

# fdisk -l /dev/hd*
Device     Boot Start End    Blocks     Id System
/dev/hda1    *    1   761     611270    82  Linux Swap
/dev/hda2         762 7299   52516485   83  Linux

# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot = /dev/hda2
change~rules
reset
read-only
menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
lba32
prompt
timeout=80
message=/boot/message
  image = /boot/vmlinuz
  label = linux
  root = /dev/hda2
  vga  =788
  initrd = /boot/initrd

Suse 8.0 Pro Boot problem

Post by Lauren Lesk » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:48:13

On a single OS system the boot loader has to be placed into the MBR(master
boot record - the MBR is the first sector on the first track of every hard
disk.  The disk's partition description table, and the boot loader are both
supposed to be there).  When you run the SuSE install one of the last
questions it asks is which boot loader you want to use LILO or GRUB, and
where you want to place the boot loader.  One of the options is the MBR.
Execute that and it will boot ok.