Upgrading the kernel

Post by Samir Jau » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 08:58:18

Hello !
Is there a benefit to upgrading the kernel in terms of performance, features.
Currently I use 1.0.8 (Slackware distribution) and I run SLIP and X-windows and use most of the other software available for linux without any major problems.
Thanks in advance.

--
Samir Jauda                     University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

1. If RedHat upgraded, will kernel also be upgraded?

I'm an utter newbie, so forgive me if I provide too much info.

I'm using Red Hat 5.0 and Linux kernel 2.0.32i686

I was advised to upgrade to Red Hat 6.1

The question:  Will upgrading to Red Hat 6.1 also upgrade my kernel?

The significance of the question:  I was informed my kernel was fairly
old and that I might have to upgrade it if I planed to upgrade to
Netscape Communicator 4.7 (currently using Nets. Comm. 4.04).
--

2. Core dump with signal 9??

3. Problem upgrading Kernel, Kernel Panic.

4. Database-HOWTO Version 2.0 Released for LINUX!!

5. Kernel upgrade broke kernel compilation

6. SUN Shared Libraries

7. PROBLEM: AD1816A Sound Failure Upgrading to Kernel-2.4.5 from Kernel-2.2.19

8. Linux vs. NT as a webserver

9. RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

10. iptables problems after upgrading to kernel 2.4.18

11. How far can I upgrade my kernel???

12. Upgrading my kernel?

13. how much hassle is it to upgrade the kernel?