_setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

_setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

Post by Chang Hyeon So » Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:39:28

HI.  I just installed Yggdrasil fall 94 CD-ROM linux and I have been getting
this error message when finishing boot, login and fire up a xterm, and
loggout.  But I don't seemed to have side effect.
What is wrong with my system?

And one more I have this two button mouse how to I simualte 3 buttons>
Thanks.

        |     Purdue  University    |       (317) 477-1462         |

_setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

Post by Daniel Quinl » Tue, 20 Sep 1994 18:22:06

Quote:> HI.  I just installed Yggdrasil fall 94 CD-ROM linux and I have been
> getting this error message when finishing boot, login and fire up a
> xterm, and loggout.  But I don't seemed to have side effect.  What
> is wrong with my system?

/etc/utmp should be a symbolic link to /var/adm/utmp.  After
installation, log in as root and type:

             # rm /etc/utmp /var/adm/utmp
             # ln -sf /var/adm/utmp /etc/utmp
             # touch /var/adm/utmp

Also see the errata on our anonymous FTP site, ftp.yggdrasil.com in
/pub/fall94/errata.

Dan

--

1. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

I have a Linux 1.2.8 server at work that has developed this problem after
a power outage this week. The power was out for a prolonged period of time and
the UPS ran out of juice. When the machine came back up online, it produces the
error message "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory" when
you try to do a "w" or when you open an xterm in openwindows. The /var/adm/utmp
file is still there as is its symbolic link from /etc/utmp -> /var/adm/utmp. I
had one other machine do this once before, but I reinstalled Linux before I had
a chance to track down the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill deWindt
Systems Administrator
Hampden-Sydney College in VA

2. Tape manipulation under Linux? Q's about mt and tar

3. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

4. Hackers trying to attack Oracle's web site

5. wyse50

6. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

7. Position in Canada

8. "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory"??

9. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory - Help!

10. _setutent: Can't open utmp: No such file or directory

11. _STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

12. Error: _setutent: Can't open utmp file: ... ???