HELP - memory problem in instalation

Post by Adi Shal » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 01:13:13

I have a problem with memory allocation in instaling linux.

I have a computer with less then 4M ram (3.7M the rest is shadow)

in the instlation procces when i try "fdisk /dev/hda"
i get the massage: "Unable to allocate any more memory"

dowes anybody know how to hendel this problem ?

thanks in advance
Adi Shaliv

Post by Stormy Henders » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 06:38:10

   I have a problem with memory allocation in instaling linux.

   I have a computer with less then 4M ram (3.7M the rest is shadow)

   in the instlation procces when i try "fdisk /dev/hda"
   i get the massage: "Unable to allocate any more memory"

   dowes anybody know how to hendel this problem ?

   thanks in advance
   Adi Shaliv

Urm, I know you have to setup your swap space and turn it on, but if you
can't even get into fdisk, I'm not sure what you do.

Kill the shadow ram, you need that space for Linux.

- Stormy the happinator     "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ
                             Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
  Reply to:                  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic

3. memory alloction problem in instalation

4. xsun, cde and the meaning of life

5. linux instalation problems help help

6. CLE + Redhat

7. Newbie instalation: Memory probs

8. HELP with MILO for XL 300 ?

9. Instalation problems for Red Hat! HELP

10. Strange NVIDIA_kernel 0.9-5 instalation problem... please help !

11. Help: Problem with Speak Freely instalation

12. Instalation problems - help please