Can anyone recommend a good GUI newsreader?

Can anyone recommend a good GUI newsreader?

Post by Arbane the Terribl » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:36:05

I'm trying to find a newsreader with better killfiling abilities than KDE's
(nearly useless, AFACT) filters, preferrably less user-scary than GNUs.,
and a bit less clunky than rtin.

Any recommendations?

--
PS:  Hey, Terry, are you reading THIS, too?

Can anyone recommend a good GUI newsreader?

Post by Keit » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 00:04:16

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:36:05 GMT,

Quote:> I'm trying to find a newsreader with better killfiling abilities than KDE's
> (nearly useless, AFACT) filters, preferrably less user-scary than GNUs.,
> and a bit less clunky than rtin.

> Any recommendations?

 Have you tried SLRN? You will have to do a bit of reading and learning,
but SLRN is very powerful and has excellent kill file ability. It can
even decode UUE binaries with a couple of key strokes. It also uses macros
so that you can do neat tricks with it. It also has built in color support and
has mouse support for xterm and the gnome-terminal. You can even use it for
offline reading using the SLRNPULL program and SLRN in spool mode.

http://slrn.org

--
Best Regards,  Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://n6jpa.home.attbi.com/ Church of the Bourne Again

Post by Arbane the Terribl » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 04:45:23

> slrn might be what you're looking for. btw, what's wrong with
> knode's? dont like someone, click on their post, <ctrl>-L and
> they're gone :)  keep doing that for everyone you dont want
> to see.

What's ctrl-L?  I don't seem to have that command (I'm using KNode 0.4).

--
"Remember, the plural of 'moron' is 'focus group'."
-- James A. Wolf

   Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:36:05 GMT
Partial reproduction follows:

Quote:> I'm trying to find a newsreader with better killfiling abilities than
> KDE's (nearly useless, AFACT) filters, preferrably less user-scary
> than GNUs., and a bit less clunky than rtin.

Tried Pan?   Not sure how well it's filters work, but it's not a bad
little reader.  (FSVO "little", of course).

Quote:> Any recommendations?

As another option, you could run something like leafnode to maintain
your own local spool, and do whatever filtering on that you want.

You're then free to use whatever newsreader/s you want to access it,
regardless of their scoring abilities (or lack thereof). You'll also
find it feels *really* fast to pull your news from a local server.
--
Mike.  /* remove "-spam" to mail me */

Post by Joel Maye » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:29:40

--
Sourcemage GNU/Linux                         /~\  ASCII Ribbon campaign
Linux so advanced it may as well be magic    \_/ stop HTML mail and news

Post by Arbane the Terribl » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:49:15

>> What's ctrl-L?  I don't seem to have that command (I'm using KNode 0.4).

> using 0.4 ?!?! you really ought to upgrade ...

Is there any way I can do that without having to re-install the whole
system?  (I checked knode.sourceforge.net, and it just has a link to
kde.org, and I would just as soon not install all of KDE 3 just for one
lousy package.)