libc6 exploded! NO DOCUMENTATION!!! AGGGHH!!!!

libc6 exploded! NO DOCUMENTATION!!! AGGGHH!!!!

Post by BI » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I tried and failed to upgrade libc5 to libc6 on Linux.  Static linking
flat out didn't work at all.  The linux/ and asm/ includes were flat out
incompatible with libc6 a la "redeclaration warning!" and "incomplete
declaration error!!!!".

I scoured the internet for documentation on ungrading gcc in Linux.  I did
make config in /usr/src/linux like it said in the HOWTO.  I linked all the
asm/ and linux/ directories like it said in some guy's Linux libc6
homepage.  I fixed the ld.so.conf file.  Fixed the specs file. I
ldconfiged. I prayed. I stood on my head. Nevertheless, although I could
compile "hello world", gcc exploded when trying to do static linking, or
including anything but "stdio".  There was no agreement between linux/,
asm/ and usr/include and no documentation on how to fix anything.

Does anyone know how to get gcc to work?

This is only the beginning.  I also need to get libg++ upgraded.  Then I'm
going to need to get X11 to handle pthreads.  The point of all this
upgrading is to do threads in X11 clients.

If no-one knows how to get Linux up to speed on threading, is their ANY
distribution which has the libc, libg++, and XFree86 for doing threads?
Hopefully besides RedHat.

In the meantime, I'm off to get Visual C++ and WindowsNT.

1. gcc exploded! NO DOCUMENTATION! AGGGHH!!!!!!!

No-one in the other newsgroups knew what to do about this.  This is the
"advocacy" group so let's see if someone can "advocate" a solution.  I
tried and failed to upgrade libc5 to libc6 on Linux. Static linking
flat out didn't work at all.  The linux/ and asm/ includes were flat out
incompatible with libc6 a la "redeclaration warning!" and "incomplete
declaration error!!!!".

I scoured the internet for documentation on ungrading gcc in Linux.  I did
make config in /usr/src/linux like it said in one HOWTO.  I linked all the
asm/ and linux/ directories like it said in another HOWTO.  I fixed the
ld.so.conf file.  Fixed the specs file. I ldconfiged. I drank water
without breathing.  I stood on my head.  Nevertheless, although I could
compile "hello world", gcc exploded when trying to do static linking, or
include anything but "stdio".  There was no agreement between linux/, asm/
and usr/include and no documentation on how to fix anything.

Does anyone know how to get gcc to work?  I see that "There are many known
problems when compiling and using programs with this library."  and
there's a laundry list of programs that won't compile under libc6 without
significant porting now.  I already found out that in addition to glibc,
libg++ had to be upgraded to use this library.  Do gcc and g++ have to be
upgraded?  What do I do, use the new library as a test library forever?

This is only the beginning.  I also need to get libg++ to work.  Then I'm
going to need to get X11 to handle pthreads.  The point of all this
upgrading is to do threads in X11 clients.

I understand using threads in XFree86 requires recompiling XFree86 with
some XFree86 patches and _REENTRANT defined.  I haven't even tried that
with the exploding libc6.  Is XFree86 version 3.3 thread safe?  The only
patches for Xfree86 threading are for an obsolete version and a version
that will definitely not compile under libc6.

If no-one knows how to get Linux up to speed on threading, is there ANY
distribution which has the latest libc, libg++, and XFree86 for doing
threads?

In the meantime, I'm off to get Visual C++ and WindowsNT.

2. Remote X display

3. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

4. Mozilla doesn't run in user mode

5. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

6. ValuePoint 6382

7. NOS shootout

8. I need an autoredialer for SL/ip

9. Seeds for random nos.

10. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

11. Software to read NOS/VE backup tapes

12. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?