Sending messages to windows clients

Post by Milo » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:43:47

Im trying to figure out how to send messages to windows (win98) clients thru
my linux server (redhat 6.2).
I have asked around and all that people seem to be able to come up with is
to use samba and send them a message thru winpopup, which means they have to
have the winpopup messaging program open to recieve a message.
i want the messages they recieve to be displayed as an error message would
be, reasons for this are for things like alerting users that the server will
be going down in 30 mins and to make sure they save their work, and to
remind them of events,etc.

Does anybody know a way of doing this thru linux to windows clients on the
network? I know in NT you can message other users thru the 'net send'
command eg. net send /USERS Warning: System shutdown in 10 minutes.

Thanks,

Milo.

Post by Kae Veren » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:01:41

> Im trying to figure out how to send messages to windows (win98) clients thru
> my linux server (redhat 6.2).
> I have asked around and all that people seem to be able to come up with is
> to use samba and send them a message thru winpopup, which means they have to
> have the winpopup messaging program open to recieve a message.
> i want the messages they recieve to be displayed as an error message would
> be, reasons for this are for things like alerting users that the server will
> be going down in 30 mins and to make sure they save their work, and to
> remind them of events,etc.

> Does anybody know a way of doing this thru linux to windows clients on the
> network? I know in NT you can message other users thru the 'net send'
> command eg. net send /USERS Warning: System shutdown in 10 minutes.

in an intranet environment, is is feasible for you to simply add a
shortcut to their Startup section of the Start menu, which means that
winpopup opens up upon startup.

Kae

1. RedHat client sends DHCPDISCOVER, server hears and sends DHCPOFFER that doesn't reach client

Hi,
        I work in an office whose DHCP server is a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box, and I'm
trying to get DHCPcd to work on a RedHat 5.2 box. After much anguish,
I've been able to get to the point where the RedHat box sends out a
DHCPDISCOVER message (see figure 3 in rfc2131) with the client hardware
address that matches the ethernet adapter's just fine (SMC Ultra in an
ISA slot by the way), the FreeBSD box receives it and replies with a
DHCPOFFER message containing an IP address, but the RedHat box times out
complaining of "no DHCPOFFER messages." This is in an office with a mix
of Macintoshes, Windows (95, 98, NT), a sprinkling of FreeBSD and
OpenBSD, and one other RedHat box that I know of, all happily churning
along on DHCP.
        Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Grendel

2. startup prob w/ apachessl+linuxPAM

3. catching SIGTERM on server shutdown and sending messages to clients

4. Problem: mount and umount of MO drive

5. send messages from UNIX to NT-Client

6. digiboard portserver sco smp and modem control

7. Newsgroup server send error message at client ???

8. Wizards? Changing IRQ makes ethernet quit working

9. send messages to NT-Clients

10. send lost connection to client messages with Apache server

11. Sending message from UNIX server to NT client

12. send popup messages from AIX to windows NT

13. send voice message from a Unix or Windows system