Multiple backup archives on one tape

Post by Drew Moseley P1 » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 00:55:00

Hello all,

I recently acquired a Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive and managed rather
easily to get it set up and working under Linux.

I was looking through the available software for managing backups.

I rather like the setup in backup-1.00.tar.gz.  (I think that's right)
Using gzip to compress a tar file scares me due to it's inherent
instability.  I like the fact that this set of backup scripts uses
afio to generate a per-file compression.  Plus, the interface for
managing volumes, full vs incremental, etc is quite nice.

My main concern now is that with a 120MB tape, I want to be able to store
several archives on one tape (for example, home directories and dos
filesystem).  It seems to me that afio stores each file as a single file
on the tape rather than all files in the archive as one file.  This makes
actually managing separate archives difficult if not impossible.
For those that use this set of scripts, is it possible to have is automatically
manage multiple archives per tape?  Or is it possible to modify them so that
perhaps the output of afio is run through tar or cpio to generate a single
archive file?

Or, is there another backup system that will allow this?  I've looked at the
other systems, but their interface isn't quite as nice.

Or, am I missing something altogether concerning afio?

Any help would be appreciated.

account through BNR will bounce.

Thanks,

Drew Moseley

Multiple backup archives on one tape

Post by Koen Holtm » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 19:38:25

Quote:>  It seems to me that afio stores each file as a single file
>on the tape rather than all files in the archive as one file.  This makes
>actually managing separate archives difficult if not impossible.

Afio stores the whole archive as one file on the tape.

I don't have a tape drive myself, but as far as I know whether you can
store multiple archives (archive files) on a single tape depends on the
tape hardware and driver software.

If your tape supports multiple archives, a program like mt has to be
used before starting the backup script.

Quote:>Drew Moseley

Koen.

1. multiple tar archives on one tape

Hello, I have a ide Seagate Hornet 8 travan tape drive (model STT8000A).
It seems to function fine with tar, however I can only put one tar
archieve on a tape. I have done the following as a test with the
following results:
Inserted a tape
mt -f /dev/nht0 rewind
tar cpf /dev/nht0 /bin (first tar)
mt -f /dev/nht0 rewind (rewind for testing)
mt -f /dev/nht0 fsf 1 (position the tape after the first tar)
tar cpf /dev/nht0 /bin (write second tar)
mt -f /dev/nht0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nht0 fsf 1 (position the tape after the first tar)
tar cpf /dev/nht0 /bin (over write second tar)
mt -f /dev/nht0 rewind
remove tape (tape now has two tar files on it)

All this works as expected, including the ability to extract files.
When the tape is re-inserted and I position the tape at the beginning of
the second archive to over write it, with fsf 1 like above, then run tar
(to overwrite the second archive again), tar complains about an i/o
error (so does the kernel) and tar fails. With the tape still in I can
rewind it and over write the tape without error. (removing and
re-inserting the tape seems to break its ability to put multiple tar
files one one tape)
I don't understand why I get an i/o error when moving the tape to after
the first archive, I would think it would be able to write anywhere on
the tape regardless of what is on the tape. I would like to have two
separate archives, since the first will not need updating often, on this
tape and would like to do so only using tar and mt. Am I doing something
wrong or is this a bug?
Thanks

2. Newbie - need help with cron

3. Multiple archive volumes to one tape

4. Unknown PCI device with ASUS P133TP4N/Adaptec 2940.

5. multiple backups on one tape

6. diamond stealth se

7. How to backup multiple Unix machines with one tape driver

8. ssh issues in RedHat 8.0

9. Backup multiple file systems in one tape

10. How to backup multiple vg in one tape

11. One backup across multiple tape devices

12. Backup Q: How to dump multiple filesystems to one tape?

13. Multiple backups on one tape