SLIP with software (XON/XOFF) flowcontrol

SLIP with software (XON/XOFF) flowcontrol

Post by rs » Tue, 03 Jan 1995 06:41:15

Subject: SLIP with software (XON/XOFF) flowcontrol.

I have a SLIP connection at 19.2kbps that is XON/XOFF.  Because
dip thinks the connection is hardware flowcontrol (RTS/CTS), it
cannot log on or enter SLIP mode.  (I.e. it never sends or receives
to or from the modem because it expects hardware flowcontrol).

Is there a way to configure dip (and the Linux SLIP software,
which I can't use until dip works) to use software flowcontrol?

Thanks!

+----------------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Russ Cox                         | ``It's not so much what we don't   |

+----------------------------------+------------------------------------+

Post by Charles Marsha » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 18:52:57

: Is there a way to configure dip (and the Linux SLIP software,
: which I can't use until dip works) to use software flowcontrol?

I think SLIP *requires* hardware flow control.  It seems to me that
was the problem when I tried to force a bunch of 3 line terminal
servers into supporting SLIP -- none of the term servers could
support the hardware flow control.

        -Charles

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 07:49:27

>: Subject: SLIP with software (XON/XOFF) flowcontrol.
>: Is there a way to configure dip (and the Linux SLIP software,
>: which I can't use until dip works) to use software flowcontrol?
>I think SLIP *requires* hardware flow control.  It seems to me that
>was the problem when I tried to force a bunch of 3 line terminal
>servers into supporting SLIP -- none of the term servers could
>support the hardware flow control.

SLIP, according to the RFC, has no provision for encoding characters as
does PPP. The problem is that the tty driver would not know if the XOFF
character came from the modem; in which case it was to suspend transmission;
or it came from the remote system; in which case it was part of the data
frame. The result is that the tty driver would always assume that the
data came from the modem and suspend transmission until it received an
XON character. This may be a long time if the character was from the remote.

You can not use XON/XOFF with SLIP. Either use RTS/CTS flow control or use
PPP. The 'term' package will also work if you want it. You have your choice.

--

Post by Alan C » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 00:07:18

>I have a SLIP connection at 19.2kbps that is XON/XOFF.  Because

No you don't. You may have an XON/XOFF link you can't use for slip that is
XON/XOFF

Quote:>dip thinks the connection is hardware flowcontrol (RTS/CTS), it
>cannot log on or enter SLIP mode.  (I.e. it never sends or receives
>to or from the modem because it expects hardware flowcontrol).

SLIP is 8 bit clean and cannot run with XON/XOFF. PPP can run if you are
forced to use XON/XOFF.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`--[Anti Kibozing Signature]-'`----------------------------''
One two three: Kibo, Lawyer, Refugee :: Green card, Compaq come read me...

Post by Michael Talbot-Wils » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 11:04:39

>>I have a SLIP connection at 19.2kbps that is XON/XOFF.  Because
>No you don't. You may have an XON/XOFF link you can't use for slip that is
>XON/XOFF
>>dip thinks the connection is hardware flowcontrol (RTS/CTS), it
>>cannot log on or enter SLIP mode.  (I.e. it never sends or receives
>>to or from the modem because it expects hardware flowcontrol).

>SLIP is 8 bit clean and cannot run with XON/XOFF. PPP can run if you are
>forced to use XON/XOFF.

Would you expand briefly, please.  Is PPP preferable to SLIP only "if
you are forced"?  I don't have the man page here, but am planning to
use PPP between two sites because the HOWTO says it's easier than SLIP.
But if it's restricted to 7-bit data I will have to reconsider.

1. XON/XOFF Flowcontrol? Kernel 1.2.13

When running 1.2.13, my dial in users complain about the system 'hanging' every so often... the screen just freezes and they
have to redial. It doesn't happen in 1.3.50+, but the ext2 code is broken in those releases so I'm running the more stable 1.2.13

2. dump parameters for HP C1533A dat

3. SLIP/dip: setting xon/xoff

4. NE2000: Sometimes hangs

5. XON/XOFF Question

6. can't ping other machines, probs with settings (again) ?

7. Digi Board problems with Xon Xoff

8. distfiles mirrors / openoffice

9. Serial Port XON/XOFF problems

10. xon xoff protocol for serial devices

11. XON/XOFF w/telnet

12. I have problems with digiboards setup for terminal use with dec (xon/xoff) terminals

13. Cannot keep XON/XOFF flow control