R.H 6.1 doesn't recognize my printer.

Post by xii_gaug » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.  I
have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000 is
supported by Linux.

Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my printer
is on?  How do I install the drivers?

Post by David . » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
> recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.  I
> have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000 is
> supported by Linux.

> Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my printer
> is on?  How do I install the drivers?

This is not the only way but it works.
Get the modutils rpm from the redhat rawhide FTP site and rpm -Uvh
modutils-x.x.rpm

--
Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
Thank the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 >I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
 >recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.  I
 >have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000 is
 >supported by Linux.

This printer works fine with the Ghostscript driver for the BJC-600/BJC-4000.

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=139017

Bob T.

Post by robin schillewaer » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
> recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.  I
> have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000 is
> supported by Linux.

> Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my printer
> is on?  How do I install the drivers?

Add the following line in /etc/conf.modules :
"alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc" and your printer will be recognized.
Good Luck
Robin

R.H 6.1 doesn't recognize my printer.

So what do I do?  Where do I place the GS driver? How?

Post by Bob Tenne » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 >>  >I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
 >>  >recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.

I don't understand "doesn't recognize the ports".  It would normally
tell you that it detected, say, /dev/lp0.  If it doesn't detect a device,
you may have a connector problem.  Once you've got the printer
detected, click on Input Filter Select and select the Canon "BJC-600 and
BJC-4000" Printer Type.  You can then choose one of two color depths.
I suggest you configure one virtual printer for each, and then you can
choose which (virtual) printer to print to.  Make sure you have

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

in your /etc/conf.modules.

Bob T.

R.H 6.1 doesn't recognize my printer.

Post by Dana » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
There is a bug in red hat 6.1 that causes the auto detect to fail on certain
computers...I just found this out last night as I was trying to install my
printer.....i don't remeber the exact fix ...(ibeleive it could be an RPM
update...but my support has expired!!) but it is covered under errata/bug
fixes for redhat on their site.....my problem is now that I have it working,
the system won't let anbody else besides the root access it......how do you
change prmissions for the printer???
Dana

> I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
> recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.  I
> have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000 is
> supported by Linux.

> Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my printer
> is on?  How do I install the drivers?

R.H 6.1 doesn't recognize my printer.

Post by Faizal Jaffe » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

hey there, you might want to upgrade your system to a real OS =)
such as Debian or Slackware.. it may solve your problems..

Linux.com
Security

> Hello,
> There is a bug in red hat 6.1 that causes the auto detect to fail on
certain
> computers...I just found this out last night as I was trying to install my
> printer.....i don't remeber the exact fix ...(ibeleive it could be an RPM
> update...but my support has expired!!) but it is covered under errata/bug
> fixes for redhat on their site.....my problem is now that I have it
working,
> the system won't let anbody else besides the root access it......how do
you
> change prmissions for the printer???
> Dana

> > I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
> > recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.
> > have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000
is
> > supported by Linux.

> > Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my
printer
> > is on?  How do I install the drivers?

R.H 6.1 doesn't recognize my printer.

Post by glen vajcne » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Add to your /etc/conf.modules

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

that should do it

glen

> hey there, you might want to upgrade your system to a real OS =)
> such as Debian or Slackware.. it may solve your problems..

> Linux.com
> Security

> > Hello,
> > There is a bug in red hat 6.1 that causes the auto detect to fail on
> certain
> > computers...I just found this out last night as I was trying to install my
> > printer.....i don't remeber the exact fix ...(ibeleive it could be an RPM
> > update...but my support has expired!!) but it is covered under errata/bug
> > fixes for redhat on their site.....my problem is now that I have it
> working,
> > the system won't let anbody else besides the root access it......how do
> you
> > change prmissions for the printer???
> > Dana

> > > I use printtool to hook up my printer but it tells me that it doesn't
> > > recognize the ports.  It scanned lp0 and lp1.  On Windows it uses lpt1.
> > > have a Cannon BJC 1000.  I've read the compatability list and BJC 1000
> is
> > > supported by Linux.

> > > Do I have to install the drivers before It recognizes the ports my
> printer
> > > is on?  How do I install the drivers?

1. RH 6.1 doesn't recognize ncr53c8xx scsi controller on Compaq ML370

Hello all,

I've run into a problem with the RH6.1 installation program while installing
on a compaq ML-370.  It does not seem to recognize the card, so when it
comes time to partition the disk (even using fdisk) no drives are
recognized.  I know that it isn't a hardware problem as I installed RH 7 on
the box as a test and it installed with no problems.  Any suggestions?

Darren.....

2. Oops 2.4-bk : kernel BUG at dcache.c:653!

3. Redhat 6.1 Doesn't recognize my NIC 3c509

4. BACKUP Software

5. Redhat 6.1 doesn't detect my printer

6. XFree86 4.0.2 on Solaris 8 (Intel Edition)

7. SUSE 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.7) Printer doesn't work

8. 2.5.51-mm1

9. Red Hat 6.1 doesn't find printer

10. ping doesn't recognise underscore in a printer address

11. RHL 6.1 CD burned from mirror download isn't recognized at install

12. Can't get my Rh 6.1 to recognize my NIC 3c509

13. RH 6.1 Install - Startx Doesn't (start)